Apr 1, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals may only be one point back of Columbus for the final wild-card spot in the East, but with the Blue Jackets holding a game in hand as well as the tie-breaker (regulation/overtime wins), the margin for error is a thin one.
The Caps have seven games left, starting tonight versus Dallas, another team in a desperate race to make the playoffs.
It’s estimated Washington will need to go in the neighborhood of 5-2-0 to avoid missing the postseason for the first time since 2007.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5