Apr 1, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
With an assist on a Chris Kunitz goal, Sidney Crosby broke the 100-point barrier for the fifth time in his NHL career and the first since the 2009-10 season (injuries and work stoppages have conspired against the star hitting the century mark in between).
Here’s the assist:
As of this writing, Crosby has 36 goals and 64 assist for those 100 points.
Not only is Crosby, 26, the first NHL player to hit 100 points in 2013-14 … he’s likely to be the only one to do so this season. Ryan Getzlaf is currently the only other player with more than 80 points at the moment (83 points in 71 games), and his Ducks only have six games left this season.
Ignoring the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season, here’s a look at some recent years’ 100-point producers.
As you can see, 100-point producers are an increasingly rare sight, but the bigger concern for league scoring might be that most aren’t even getting very close. In 2011-12, Steven Stamkos had 97 points and Claude Giroux hit 93; Getzlaf might be the only other playing to eclipse 90 points, and that’s assuming the Ducks don’t give him a breather. (That’s not to say someone like Giroux couldn’t jump to 90; but most players are at a point-per-game or less.)
If you look at top scorers as a barometer for a league, then things are pretty dry for the NHL right now. But at least there’s Crosby.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (89)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)