Apr 1, 2014, 9:43 PM EST
Heading into Tuesday’s game, the Dallas Stars and Washington Capitals seemed to hold a decent number of things in common, most notably the fact that both headed into the contest ranked ninth in their respective conferences. Tuesday’s 5-0 Stars win makes a compelling argument that they’re going in very different directions, however.
For at least a brief period of time, Dallas moves to eighth place in the West, although the Phoenix Coyotes can move right back ahead of them by beating the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday.
Even so, the Stars hold a game in hand once tonight’s games wrap up and are generally putting themselves in a solid position to make this season’s regular season finale against Phoenix a match for a playoff spot.
The Stars are currently on a three-game winning streak and five of their last six games, beginning an interesting five-game road trip with two victories.
While the Stars get things together, the Capitals are falling apart. They’ve lost four games in a row and five of their last six games. The one bright side is that they were at least taking some points out of this tough stretch; four of their six games went to shootouts, although Washington only won one of them.
It might be tough for Caps fans to find bright sides (whether it’s fair to pin it on him or not, Alex Ovechkin‘s oft-mentioned plus/minus sank to -36), but at least they get what could be a breather.
After facing tough Western Conference opponents and the Boston Bruins since March 18, they get a couple East opponents, although they play the next four games on the road. Assuming the margins aren’t too large for both teams, Friday’s road game against the Devils could be a make-or-break contest for the Capitals.
Then again, at this point, every game probably feels at least a little bit like that … and it’s mostly been cracks forming for the Caps lately.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 15
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 40
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)