Apr 1, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
The Lightning forward earned his second consecutive rookie of the month award on Tuesday, capturing March honors after winning January’s as well (the NHL didn’t give out awards in Feburary, due to the Winter Olympic break.)
Palat, 23, led all rookies with 16 points in 16 games last month, scoring at least one point in nine of the 16 games while racking up a five-game streak from Mar. 8-17. As a result, Palat is now biting at MacKinnon’s heels on a number of statistical leaderboards for first-year players…
MacKinnon: 74 GP, 23 goals, 33 assists, 56 points, plus-20 rating
Palat: 75 GP, 19 goals, 32 assists, 51 points, plus-27 rating
It’s worth noting Palat has a slight edge in average TOI per game (17:59) to MacKinnon’s 17:04.
As for the March award, a number of other rookies were in the running:
— Calgary’ Joe Colborne (6-5—11 in 16 games),
— Anaheim’s Patrick Maroon (3-8—11 in 14 games)
— Florida’s Nick Bjugstad (1-10—11 in 17 games)
— Tampa Bay’s Tyler Johnson (5-5—10 in 16 games).
Previous winners of this season’s rookie of the month award were San Jose’s Tomas Hertl (October), Nashville’s Marek Mazanec (November) and Los Angeles’ Martin Jones/Chicago’s Antti Raanta (December co-winners).
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 73
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32