Apr 1, 2014, 3:34 PM EST
The Lightning forward earned his second consecutive rookie of the month award on Tuesday, capturing March honors after winning January’s as well (the NHL didn’t give out awards in Feburary, due to the Winter Olympic break.)
Palat, 23, led all rookies with 16 points in 16 games last month, scoring at least one point in nine of the 16 games while racking up a five-game streak from Mar. 8-17. As a result, Palat is now biting at MacKinnon’s heels on a number of statistical leaderboards for first-year players…
MacKinnon: 74 GP, 23 goals, 33 assists, 56 points, plus-20 rating
Palat: 75 GP, 19 goals, 32 assists, 51 points, plus-27 rating
It’s worth noting Palat has a slight edge in average TOI per game (17:59) to MacKinnon’s 17:04.
As for the March award, a number of other rookies were in the running:
— Calgary’ Joe Colborne (6-5—11 in 16 games),
— Anaheim’s Patrick Maroon (3-8—11 in 14 games)
— Florida’s Nick Bjugstad (1-10—11 in 17 games)
— Tampa Bay’s Tyler Johnson (5-5—10 in 16 games).
Previous winners of this season’s rookie of the month award were San Jose’s Tomas Hertl (October), Nashville’s Marek Mazanec (November) and Los Angeles’ Martin Jones/Chicago’s Antti Raanta (December co-winners).
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 20
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 9
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 12
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 9
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4