Apr 1, 2014, 3:34 PM EST
The Lightning forward earned his second consecutive rookie of the month award on Tuesday, capturing March honors after winning January’s as well (the NHL didn’t give out awards in Feburary, due to the Winter Olympic break.)
Palat, 23, led all rookies with 16 points in 16 games last month, scoring at least one point in nine of the 16 games while racking up a five-game streak from Mar. 8-17. As a result, Palat is now biting at MacKinnon’s heels on a number of statistical leaderboards for first-year players…
MacKinnon: 74 GP, 23 goals, 33 assists, 56 points, plus-20 rating
Palat: 75 GP, 19 goals, 32 assists, 51 points, plus-27 rating
It’s worth noting Palat has a slight edge in average TOI per game (17:59) to MacKinnon’s 17:04.
As for the March award, a number of other rookies were in the running:
– Calgary’ Joe Colborne (6-5—11 in 16 games),
– Anaheim’s Patrick Maroon (3-8—11 in 14 games)
– Florida’s Nick Bjugstad (1-10—11 in 17 games)
– Tampa Bay’s Tyler Johnson (5-5—10 in 16 games).
Previous winners of this season’s rookie of the month award were San Jose’s Tomas Hertl (October), Nashville’s Marek Mazanec (November) and Los Angeles’ Martin Jones/Chicago’s Antti Raanta (December co-winners).
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11