Apr 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
Once Ryan Miller got over the shock of being traded from the Buffalo Sabres, he probably envisioned winning games like he did on Tuesday.
The U.S.-born netminder earned his first shutout with the St. Louis Blues tonight, stopping all 31 Philadelphia Flyers shots. Actually, both Miller and Ray Emery technically earned shutouts, but the former got the win as the Blues won 1-0 via the shootout.
And, yes, T.J. Oshie continued his brilliant shootout work with a goal in that format.
Miller, Blues keep climbing
Miller, 33, actually went quite a while without a shutout. He didn’t register one in 40 games this season with Buffalo or 40 with the Sabres in 2012-13. His most recent one came on March 21, 2012 against the Montreal Canadiens.
With this win, the Blues beef up their lead on the Western Conference’s top seed, giving them four wins in their last five games.
Flyers hit a rough patch
The Flyers are hitting a bit of a speed bump on their end. With two consecutive shootout losses, they’ve now lost four of five. That being said, this was a tough run of games, with two games apiece against the Pittsburgh Penguins (March 15 and 16), St. Louis Blues (today and March 22) and single matchups against substantial competition since mid-March. They’ve only faltered recently, so it’s not necessarily time to be too concerned.
Even so, Thursday’s home game against the Columbus Blue Jackets should be an interesting test, as Columbus is four points behind Philadelphia.
Update: The New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks, so here’s an updated look at the East:
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)