Apr 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Once Ryan Miller got over the shock of being traded from the Buffalo Sabres, he probably envisioned winning games like he did on Tuesday.
The U.S.-born netminder earned his first shutout with the St. Louis Blues tonight, stopping all 31 Philadelphia Flyers shots. Actually, both Miller and Ray Emery technically earned shutouts, but the former got the win as the Blues won 1-0 via the shootout.
And, yes, T.J. Oshie continued his brilliant shootout work with a goal in that format.
Miller, Blues keep climbing
Miller, 33, actually went quite a while without a shutout. He didn’t register one in 40 games this season with Buffalo or 40 with the Sabres in 2012-13. His most recent one came on March 21, 2012 against the Montreal Canadiens.
With this win, the Blues beef up their lead on the Western Conference’s top seed, giving them four wins in their last five games.
Flyers hit a rough patch
The Flyers are hitting a bit of a speed bump on their end. With two consecutive shootout losses, they’ve now lost four of five. That being said, this was a tough run of games, with two games apiece against the Pittsburgh Penguins (March 15 and 16), St. Louis Blues (today and March 22) and single matchups against substantial competition since mid-March. They’ve only faltered recently, so it’s not necessarily time to be too concerned.
Even so, Thursday’s home game against the Columbus Blue Jackets should be an interesting test, as Columbus is four points behind Philadelphia.
Update: The New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks, so here’s an updated look at the East:
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)