Apr 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Once Ryan Miller got over the shock of being traded from the Buffalo Sabres, he probably envisioned winning games like he did on Tuesday.
The U.S.-born netminder earned his first shutout with the St. Louis Blues tonight, stopping all 31 Philadelphia Flyers shots. Actually, both Miller and Ray Emery technically earned shutouts, but the former got the win as the Blues won 1-0 via the shootout.
And, yes, T.J. Oshie continued his brilliant shootout work with a goal in that format.
Miller, Blues keep climbing
Miller, 33, actually went quite a while without a shutout. He didn’t register one in 40 games this season with Buffalo or 40 with the Sabres in 2012-13. His most recent one came on March 21, 2012 against the Montreal Canadiens.
With this win, the Blues beef up their lead on the Western Conference’s top seed, giving them four wins in their last five games.
Flyers hit a rough patch
The Flyers are hitting a bit of a speed bump on their end. With two consecutive shootout losses, they’ve now lost four of five. That being said, this was a tough run of games, with two games apiece against the Pittsburgh Penguins (March 15 and 16), St. Louis Blues (today and March 22) and single matchups against substantial competition since mid-March. They’ve only faltered recently, so it’s not necessarily time to be too concerned.
Even so, Thursday’s home game against the Columbus Blue Jackets should be an interesting test, as Columbus is four points behind Philadelphia.
Update: The New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks, so here’s an updated look at the East:
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17