Apr 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
Once Ryan Miller got over the shock of being traded from the Buffalo Sabres, he probably envisioned winning games like he did on Tuesday.
The U.S.-born netminder earned his first shutout with the St. Louis Blues tonight, stopping all 31 Philadelphia Flyers shots. Actually, both Miller and Ray Emery technically earned shutouts, but the former got the win as the Blues won 1-0 via the shootout.
And, yes, T.J. Oshie continued his brilliant shootout work with a goal in that format.
Miller, Blues keep climbing
Miller, 33, actually went quite a while without a shutout. He didn’t register one in 40 games this season with Buffalo or 40 with the Sabres in 2012-13. His most recent one came on March 21, 2012 against the Montreal Canadiens.
With this win, the Blues beef up their lead on the Western Conference’s top seed, giving them four wins in their last five games.
Flyers hit a rough patch
The Flyers are hitting a bit of a speed bump on their end. With two consecutive shootout losses, they’ve now lost four of five. That being said, this was a tough run of games, with two games apiece against the Pittsburgh Penguins (March 15 and 16), St. Louis Blues (today and March 22) and single matchups against substantial competition since mid-March. They’ve only faltered recently, so it’s not necessarily time to be too concerned.
Even so, Thursday’s home game against the Columbus Blue Jackets should be an interesting test, as Columbus is four points behind Philadelphia.
Update: The New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks, so here’s an updated look at the East:
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)