Mar 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Once again, Rob Laurie gets the call.
The Anaheim-based netminder, who’s already filled in as an emergency goalie for the Ducks and Canucks, will suit up for the Wild tonight in place of the injured Darcy Kuemper, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Kuemper, who wasn’t scheduled to start tonight — Ilya Bryzgalov‘s in goal — was hurt during the morning skate and later ruled out of action. That forced the Wild to sign the 43-year-old Laurie, a longtime ECHL netminder that played one game in the American League for Adirondack during the 1995-96 campaign.
Unbelievably, Kuemper is the third Wild goalie to fall to injury this season. Niklas Backstrom was lost for the season after undergoing surgery on a “core muscle injury,” and Josh Harding has been sidelined after undergoing a midseason change in his multiple sclerosis treatment protocol.
In a related story, this isn’t the first time the Wild have been forced to sign an, ahem, experienced emergency netminder. Minnesota previously signed 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an Amateur Tryout Contract during the 2011-12 campaign to serve in a similar capacity.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)