Mar 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
Once again, Rob Laurie gets the call.
The Anaheim-based netminder, who’s already filled in as an emergency goalie for the Ducks and Canucks, will suit up for the Wild tonight in place of the injured Darcy Kuemper, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Kuemper, who wasn’t scheduled to start tonight — Ilya Bryzgalov‘s in goal — was hurt during the morning skate and later ruled out of action. That forced the Wild to sign the 43-year-old Laurie, a longtime ECHL netminder that played one game in the American League for Adirondack during the 1995-96 campaign.
Unbelievably, Kuemper is the third Wild goalie to fall to injury this season. Niklas Backstrom was lost for the season after undergoing surgery on a “core muscle injury,” and Josh Harding has been sidelined after undergoing a midseason change in his multiple sclerosis treatment protocol.
In a related story, this isn’t the first time the Wild have been forced to sign an, ahem, experienced emergency netminder. Minnesota previously signed 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an Amateur Tryout Contract during the 2011-12 campaign to serve in a similar capacity.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)