Mar 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
Once again, Rob Laurie gets the call.
The Anaheim-based netminder, who’s already filled in as an emergency goalie for the Ducks and Canucks, will suit up for the Wild tonight in place of the injured Darcy Kuemper, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Kuemper, who wasn’t scheduled to start tonight — Ilya Bryzgalov‘s in goal — was hurt during the morning skate and later ruled out of action. That forced the Wild to sign the 43-year-old Laurie, a longtime ECHL netminder that played one game in the American League for Adirondack during the 1995-96 campaign.
Unbelievably, Kuemper is the third Wild goalie to fall to injury this season. Niklas Backstrom was lost for the season after undergoing surgery on a “core muscle injury,” and Josh Harding has been sidelined after undergoing a midseason change in his multiple sclerosis treatment protocol.
In a related story, this isn’t the first time the Wild have been forced to sign an, ahem, experienced emergency netminder. Minnesota previously signed 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an Amateur Tryout Contract during the 2011-12 campaign to serve in a similar capacity.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)