Mar 31, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
A familiar name has popped up in the potential New York Islanders sale.
Philadelphia lawyer Andrew Barroway — who, in 2013, was linked to a proposed purchase of the New Jersey Devils — is reportedly in talks with Isles owner Charles Wang to purchase the club for a reported $225 million (with an additional $75 million if the club hits certain revenue targets.)
Here’s more, from the New York Post:
While Wang has been open to a sale for several years, there has been limited interest in a team that lost more than $10 million in a single season and has among the lowest attendance in the league.
But this time could be different because of a revenue guarantee from Barclays Center, where the Islanders are set to start playing in 2015. In October 2012, the Islanders inked a long-term deal to move the team from Nassau County to Brooklyn.
The arena’s owners guaranteed the Islanders about $50 million in annual revenue for regular season games. Barclays would keep anything it collects in sponsorship, suite and ticket sales over that amount.
It appears Barroway is in relative good standing with the NHL. A Forbes report from ’13 claimed he lent the Devils $30-million to help the team make its payroll, escrow and pension payments — but stepped away from the deal after a further review of the club’s finances.
The Devils were later sold to Josh Harris, the owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers.
Reports of Wang’s move to sell the Isles broke last week, and he was reportedly “furious” about the leak. Wang became part-owner of the Isles in 2000, then assumed majority control in 2004 after buying out partner Sanjay Kumar.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)