Mar 31, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
It’s been more than two weeks since we last checked in on the New Jersey Devils’ playoff chances. Since then (Mar. 14), those chances have fallen from 58.8 percent to just 14.3, according to Sports Club Stats, and — in a very related story — the team’s record in the shootout has fallen from 0-8 to 0-10.
Alas, they are not .500; they are .000, the only team in the NHL without a shootout win.
Consider now the probability of losing 10 straight shootouts. Even if the Devils are just plain bad at the exercise and you only give them a 25 percent shot of winning each one, the chances they drop 10 straight are around 5 percent.
The chances of losing 10 straight coin flips? Around 0.1 percent. Or, one in a thousand.
“We’re at the point we can pretty much try everything because what we’re doing is not working,” forward Damien Brunner said of his team’s shootout woes. “Maybe we have to start throwing some jokes around on the bench. It can’t get any worse.”
If there’s reason for optimism as the Devils prepare for their final eight games, starting tonight versus Florida (on NBCSN), it may be their less-than-daunting schedule:
Seven non-playoff teams, plus Boston on the last game of the season when it’s likely the Bruins will have nothing on the line.
It’s estimated the Devils will have to earn 14 out of a possible 16 points (so 7-1-0 or 6-2-0) to give themselves a better-than-50/50 shot at making the playoffs.
“We’ve played games that we can win,” goalie Cory Schneider said, per The Record. “We haven’t gotten ourselves out of any games. Right now, we’re not getting ourselves extra points. We’re going to need some help. We’re going to need some teams in front of us to lose, which they did (Friday). But we got to get twos and not ones and zeros right now.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)