Mar 31, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
In a rare instance of the goalie getting yanked with his team in front, Martin Brodeur was replaced midway through Monday’s game against Florida after allowing three goals on nine shots…while the Devils led, 4-3.
Things looked comfortable for Brodeur and the Devils early in this one, as New Jersey had a 3-1 lead after the first period, in which it out-shot the Panthers 18-4. Florida pressed early and often in the second, however, and a pair of quick strikes from Brad Boyes (who scored 50 seconds into the middle frame) and Brandon Pirri finished Brodeur’s night prematurely:
With the Devils desperately clinging to their playoff lives, head coach Peter DeBoer wasted no time inserting Schneider and he looked sharp, stopping all six shots on a buzzing Florida power play after Eric Gelinas was called for holding.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35