Mar 31, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
In a rare instance of the goalie getting yanked with his team in front, Martin Brodeur was replaced midway through Monday’s game against Florida after allowing three goals on nine shots…while the Devils led, 4-3.
Things looked comfortable for Brodeur and the Devils early in this one, as New Jersey had a 3-1 lead after the first period, in which it out-shot the Panthers 18-4. Florida pressed early and often in the second, however, and a pair of quick strikes from Brad Boyes (who scored 50 seconds into the middle frame) and Brandon Pirri finished Brodeur’s night prematurely:
With the Devils desperately clinging to their playoff lives, head coach Peter DeBoer wasted no time inserting Schneider and he looked sharp, stopping all six shots on a buzzing Florida power play after Eric Gelinas was called for holding.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2