Mar 31, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Luke Gazdic‘s breakthrough campaign is ending on a sour note.
Gazdic, who made his NHL debut with Edmonton this season and went on to appear in 67 games, will be shut down for the remainder of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery, the club announced on Monday. The procedure and recovery will sideline Gazdic for six months, which could linger over to next year’s training camp and, quite possibly, the start of the regular season.
Gazdic, 24, has two goals and four points this year with a team-high 127 penalty minutes. He’s fought 15 times and showed no fear when it came to picking opponents, taking on the likes of Brian McGrattan, Milan Lucic and Kevin Westgarth — the latter being on the wrong end of Gazdic’s most memorable win of the year:
Gazdic is on a one-year, $635,000 deal with the Oilers that expires this July. It’ll be interesting to see if he showed enough to earn a new deal for next year, or if this shoulder ailment will come into effect.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)