Mar 31, 2014, 2:13 PM EST
Luke Gazdic‘s breakthrough campaign is ending on a sour note.
Gazdic, who made his NHL debut with Edmonton this season and went on to appear in 67 games, will be shut down for the remainder of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery, the club announced on Monday. The procedure and recovery will sideline Gazdic for six months, which could linger over to next year’s training camp and, quite possibly, the start of the regular season.
Gazdic, 24, has two goals and four points this year with a team-high 127 penalty minutes. He’s fought 15 times and showed no fear when it came to picking opponents, taking on the likes of Brian McGrattan, Milan Lucic and Kevin Westgarth — the latter being on the wrong end of Gazdic’s most memorable win of the year:
Gazdic is on a one-year, $635,000 deal with the Oilers that expires this July. It’ll be interesting to see if he showed enough to earn a new deal for next year, or if this shoulder ailment will come into effect.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)