Mar 31, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Los Angeles Kings hosting the Minnesota Wild starting at 10 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The Kings enter tonight’s game on a six-game win streak. With one game to play this month, they have already set club records for most wins (11) and points (22) in the month of March. Leading the way have been the usual (goaltender Jonathan Quick, 9-2-0, 1.89 GAA, .924 save%, one shutout) and somewhat unusual (defenseman Alec Martinez, a team-high six goals) suspects.
• On Mar. 25, the Kings tied a franchise record with eight straight wins away from Staples Center. (They established that mark during the 1974-75 season.) They could set a new mark on Apr. 3 at San Jose.
• Kings winger Marian Gaborik, who has three goals and five assists in 12 games with Los Angeles since his acquisition via trade from Columbus on Mar. 5, is among the Wild’s career leaders in most major offensive categories. Gaborik was the franchise’s all-time leading scorer until Mar. 18, when Wild center and captain Mikko Koivu passed him.
• The Wild’s assists leader (with 38 in 58 games), Koivu enters tonight’s game on a five-game point streak (one goal, six assists). Koivu leads all NHL players in assists (nine in seven games) since March 18. He also has 22 career points (four goals, 18 assists) in 26 games vs. Los Angeles.
• Kings center Anze Kopitar (197 career NHL goals), who led Slovenia to the quarterfinals in the country’s first-ever Olympic men’s hockey tournament last month, needs three goals to become the eighth player in Kings history to score 200 goals for the franchise. L.A. winger and captain Dustin Brown is right behind Kopitar, with 195 goals.
• The Kings have had three different goaltenders post three or more shutouts this season: Quick – 5 (T-2nd in the NHL); Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens (now with Edmonton) – 3 apiece. The only other team in NHL history with three goaltenders with three or more blank sheets in a season was the 2003-04 Calgary Flames: Miikka Kiprusoff – 4; Jamie McLennan (later traded to the N.Y. Rangers) and Roman Turek – 3 apiece. Elias Sports Bureau
• In five starts (six appearances) with the Wild this season, goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov is 3-0-2 with a 1.94 GAA, .921 save% and one shutout. Bryzgalov is the fourth goalie to earn a win with the Wild this season, following Josh Harding, Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper. Since Jan. 27, he has not lost a game in regulation, going 5-0-4 with Edmonton and Minnesota. The Russian netminder has 14 career wins vs. Los Angeles, more than vs. any other NHL team (14-7-4, 2.32 GAA, .919 save%, two shutouts).
• Wild defenseman Ryan Suter has played more than 30 minutes in 35 of his team’s 74 games this season. The only other NHL players who have played more than 30 minutes in more than 10 games are Florida’s Brian Campbell (14 games) and Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson (11 games).
• Four of the last six meetings between the Wild and Kings have gone to a shootout. Minnesota won three of those shootouts, including the most recent one, on Jan. 7 at Staples Center.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 58
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)