Mar 30, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
Hockey fans only get so many chances to see the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins square off (especially inside a standard hockey arena), but Sunday provides one of those opportunities. You can check out the action on NBCSN and also via the live stream link below.
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ outlook seems pretty clear at this point: they’re almost certainly going to be the Metropolitan Division champion (with a 13-point standings lead against the Flyers and the Rangers) and the second seed in the East (currently trailing the Boston Bruins by 11 standings points). The Chicago Blackhawks’ situation isn’t as clear yet, at least as far as if they’ll gain home-ice advantage in the first round. At the moment, the Colorado Avalanche have a one-point lead and one game in hand on Chicago for the second spot in the Central Division and home-ice advantage in what will almost certainly be a first-round series between the two teams.
So, in other words, they’re might be more at stake for Chicago, but both have already clinched playoff spots, so it’s about tuning up (and maybe proving a point or two).
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 67
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15