Mar 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Red-hot Detroit Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist isn’t just scoring goals during this torrid stretch … he’s often providing jaw-droppers. His 27th goal of the 2013-14 season certainly qualifies as highlight reel material, as he befuddled the Tampa Bay Lightning (including goalie Ben Bishop) on this stunner:
Here are a few of the pertinent numbers regarding the 24-year-old’s incredible pace:
- He’s on a nine-game point streak with only one contest (March 27) coming without a goal. Overall, he has 10 goals and two assists in the past eight games and one more goal (and counting?) on Sunday.
- If he finishes without another goal tonight, he’ll still have an incredible 22 in his last 27 games.
- He also has 12 goals in the month of March (at the moment).
It’s getting to the point where he’s generating some serious Hart Trophy talk (at least as a top-five contender, as most acknowledge he hasn’t played in enough games). If nothing else, it’s reasonable to say that he’s the main reason that the Red Wings are currently in position to make yet another playoff run.
They might need just a little more magic from him to get all the way there, though. At this point, would you doubt Nyquist?
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)