Mar 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Red-hot Detroit Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist isn’t just scoring goals during this torrid stretch … he’s often providing jaw-droppers. His 27th goal of the 2013-14 season certainly qualifies as highlight reel material, as he befuddled the Tampa Bay Lightning (including goalie Ben Bishop) on this stunner:
Here are a few of the pertinent numbers regarding the 24-year-old’s incredible pace:
- He’s on a nine-game point streak with only one contest (March 27) coming without a goal. Overall, he has 10 goals and two assists in the past eight games and one more goal (and counting?) on Sunday.
- If he finishes without another goal tonight, he’ll still have an incredible 22 in his last 27 games.
- He also has 12 goals in the month of March (at the moment).
It’s getting to the point where he’s generating some serious Hart Trophy talk (at least as a top-five contender, as most acknowledge he hasn’t played in enough games). If nothing else, it’s reasonable to say that he’s the main reason that the Red Wings are currently in position to make yet another playoff run.
They might need just a little more magic from him to get all the way there, though. At this point, would you doubt Nyquist?
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 0
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (56)