Mar 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Red-hot Detroit Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist isn’t just scoring goals during this torrid stretch … he’s often providing jaw-droppers. His 27th goal of the 2013-14 season certainly qualifies as highlight reel material, as he befuddled the Tampa Bay Lightning (including goalie Ben Bishop) on this stunner:
Here are a few of the pertinent numbers regarding the 24-year-old’s incredible pace:
- He’s on a nine-game point streak with only one contest (March 27) coming without a goal. Overall, he has 10 goals and two assists in the past eight games and one more goal (and counting?) on Sunday.
- If he finishes without another goal tonight, he’ll still have an incredible 22 in his last 27 games.
- He also has 12 goals in the month of March (at the moment).
It’s getting to the point where he’s generating some serious Hart Trophy talk (at least as a top-five contender, as most acknowledge he hasn’t played in enough games). If nothing else, it’s reasonable to say that he’s the main reason that the Red Wings are currently in position to make yet another playoff run.
They might need just a little more magic from him to get all the way there, though. At this point, would you doubt Nyquist?
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 19
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46