Mar 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Red-hot Detroit Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist isn’t just scoring goals during this torrid stretch … he’s often providing jaw-droppers. His 27th goal of the 2013-14 season certainly qualifies as highlight reel material, as he befuddled the Tampa Bay Lightning (including goalie Ben Bishop) on this stunner:
Here are a few of the pertinent numbers regarding the 24-year-old’s incredible pace:
- He’s on a nine-game point streak with only one contest (March 27) coming without a goal. Overall, he has 10 goals and two assists in the past eight games and one more goal (and counting?) on Sunday.
- If he finishes without another goal tonight, he’ll still have an incredible 22 in his last 27 games.
- He also has 12 goals in the month of March (at the moment).
It’s getting to the point where he’s generating some serious Hart Trophy talk (at least as a top-five contender, as most acknowledge he hasn’t played in enough games). If nothing else, it’s reasonable to say that he’s the main reason that the Red Wings are currently in position to make yet another playoff run.
They might need just a little more magic from him to get all the way there, though. At this point, would you doubt Nyquist?
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6