Mar 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
With the season winding down, Masterton Trophy nominations will start pouring out from each NHL team.
Rangers forward Dominic Moore was nominated for the award by the PHWA members in New York City and he fits the qualifications well. The Masterton Trophy goes to “the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”
Moore’s case is an emotional one.
He returned to the NHL this season with the Rangers after spending last season out of the game. Moore was away from hockey to be with his wife Katie who later succumbed to a rare form of liver cancer at the age of 32. He said taking time away from hockey was “the right thing to do.”
He’s done a lot of charity work starting the “SmashFest!” ping-pong tournament each summer in Toronto to raise money for various charities including the Katie Moore Foundation which helps fund research for rare forms of cancer.
Moore will be up against 29 other nominees from around the league and ultimately three finalists will be voted on. The Masterton isn’t so much a competition as it is a celebration of the spirit of the players and the great things they’re capable of doing.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)