Mar 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
With the season winding down, Masterton Trophy nominations will start pouring out from each NHL team.
Rangers forward Dominic Moore was nominated for the award by the PHWA members in New York City and he fits the qualifications well. The Masterton Trophy goes to “the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”
Moore’s case is an emotional one.
He returned to the NHL this season with the Rangers after spending last season out of the game. Moore was away from hockey to be with his wife Katie who later succumbed to a rare form of liver cancer at the age of 32. He said taking time away from hockey was “the right thing to do.”
He’s done a lot of charity work starting the “SmashFest!” ping-pong tournament each summer in Toronto to raise money for various charities including the Katie Moore Foundation which helps fund research for rare forms of cancer.
Moore will be up against 29 other nominees from around the league and ultimately three finalists will be voted on. The Masterton isn’t so much a competition as it is a celebration of the spirit of the players and the great things they’re capable of doing.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)