Mar 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
With the season winding down, Masterton Trophy nominations will start pouring out from each NHL team.
Rangers forward Dominic Moore was nominated for the award by the PHWA members in New York City and he fits the qualifications well. The Masterton Trophy goes to “the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”
Moore’s case is an emotional one.
He returned to the NHL this season with the Rangers after spending last season out of the game. Moore was away from hockey to be with his wife Katie who later succumbed to a rare form of liver cancer at the age of 32. He said taking time away from hockey was “the right thing to do.”
He’s done a lot of charity work starting the “SmashFest!” ping-pong tournament each summer in Toronto to raise money for various charities including the Katie Moore Foundation which helps fund research for rare forms of cancer.
Moore will be up against 29 other nominees from around the league and ultimately three finalists will be voted on. The Masterton isn’t so much a competition as it is a celebration of the spirit of the players and the great things they’re capable of doing.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)