Mar 30, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins fought off a late-charging Philadelphia Flyers team to win 4-3 in the shootout.
Tuukka Rask stopped four out of five shooters in the shootout and made 49 saves to pace the Bruins. Reilly Smith ended the shootout in the fifth round with his goal against Steve Mason to give the Bruins their 15th win in the past 16 games and their ninth consecutive win on the road.
The Bruins got goals from former Flyer Andrej Meszaros, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron. The Flyers got two goals from Vincent Lecavalier, including his game-tying goal with 24 seconds left in the third period. Kimmo Timonen added a goal and Mason stopped 27 shots.
Here are some talking points to take with you into the comments…
– Zdeno Chara scored his 10th power play goal of the season in the second period and did so by being parked around the net. If you’re a goalie, you’ll wake up in cold sweats thinking about that playing out over and over again.
– Yes, it was a big day for Lecavalier. Not bad for a guy playing on the fourth line, right? Check out his 400th career goal from the first period.
– The Flyers put up 52 shots on goal against the Bruins. The Bruins piled up 30 of their own. Whoever said offense is dead was merely dead wrong.
If you missed any of the action, here are the highlights from this afternoon’s thriller:
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 16
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 14
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 60
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (60)