Mar 30, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Boston Bruins fought off a late-charging Philadelphia Flyers team to win 4-3 in the shootout.
Tuukka Rask stopped four out of five shooters in the shootout and made 49 saves to pace the Bruins. Reilly Smith ended the shootout in the fifth round with his goal against Steve Mason to give the Bruins their 15th win in the past 16 games and their ninth consecutive win on the road.
The Bruins got goals from former Flyer Andrej Meszaros, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron. The Flyers got two goals from Vincent Lecavalier, including his game-tying goal with 24 seconds left in the third period. Kimmo Timonen added a goal and Mason stopped 27 shots.
Here are some talking points to take with you into the comments…
— Zdeno Chara scored his 10th power play goal of the season in the second period and did so by being parked around the net. If you’re a goalie, you’ll wake up in cold sweats thinking about that playing out over and over again.
— Yes, it was a big day for Lecavalier. Not bad for a guy playing on the fourth line, right? Check out his 400th career goal from the first period.
— The Flyers put up 52 shots on goal against the Bruins. The Bruins piled up 30 of their own. Whoever said offense is dead was merely dead wrong.
If you missed any of the action, here are the highlights from this afternoon’s thriller:
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)