Mar 30, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins fought off a late-charging Philadelphia Flyers team to win 4-3 in the shootout.
Tuukka Rask stopped four out of five shooters in the shootout and made 49 saves to pace the Bruins. Reilly Smith ended the shootout in the fifth round with his goal against Steve Mason to give the Bruins their 15th win in the past 16 games and their ninth consecutive win on the road.
The Bruins got goals from former Flyer Andrej Meszaros, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron. The Flyers got two goals from Vincent Lecavalier, including his game-tying goal with 24 seconds left in the third period. Kimmo Timonen added a goal and Mason stopped 27 shots.
Here are some talking points to take with you into the comments…
— Zdeno Chara scored his 10th power play goal of the season in the second period and did so by being parked around the net. If you’re a goalie, you’ll wake up in cold sweats thinking about that playing out over and over again.
— Yes, it was a big day for Lecavalier. Not bad for a guy playing on the fourth line, right? Check out his 400th career goal from the first period.
— The Flyers put up 52 shots on goal against the Bruins. The Bruins piled up 30 of their own. Whoever said offense is dead was merely dead wrong.
If you missed any of the action, here are the highlights from this afternoon’s thriller:
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)