Mar 30, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
In that span, they’ve been out-scored 12-4. They’ve also lost four of five contests and have generally looked wobbly since Patrick Kane was injured on March 19 (going 2-4-0 since then).
No doubt about it, though; the biggest loss would be their 25-year-old captain if that left arm (or possible shoulder) issue either keeps him out of action or hampers him greatly as the team attempts to defend its championship in the playoffs.
Update: The early word is that it isn’t a significant problem, but we’ll see.
Here’s one more look at Brooks Orpik‘s hit on Toews:
It’s looking exceedingly likely that the Blackhawks will face the Colorado Avalanche in a first-round series, and at the moment, it looks like the Avs might gain home-ice advantage. Colorado holds one more standings point (100 to 99) and has eight games remaining to Chicago’s six.
While the Blackhawks’ star captain left with an injury, the Penguins’ answer to Toews seemed as strong as ever. Sidney Crosby scored the last two goals of the game to ice it for Pittsburgh, giving him 36 goals on the season. He’s now at 99 points in 75 games played; as of this writing, Ryan Getzlaf is the only other player who has even exceeded 80 points on the season (81).
The Penguins are really just playing to get tuned up at this point, so this could be a confidence booster (while the ‘Hawks might just leave this one with slumped shoulders).
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)