Mar 30, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
In that span, they’ve been out-scored 12-4. They’ve also lost four of five contests and have generally looked wobbly since Patrick Kane was injured on March 19 (going 2-4-0 since then).
No doubt about it, though; the biggest loss would be their 25-year-old captain if that left arm (or possible shoulder) issue either keeps him out of action or hampers him greatly as the team attempts to defend its championship in the playoffs.
Update: The early word is that it isn’t a significant problem, but we’ll see.
Here’s one more look at Brooks Orpik‘s hit on Toews:
It’s looking exceedingly likely that the Blackhawks will face the Colorado Avalanche in a first-round series, and at the moment, it looks like the Avs might gain home-ice advantage. Colorado holds one more standings point (100 to 99) and has eight games remaining to Chicago’s six.
While the Blackhawks’ star captain left with an injury, the Penguins’ answer to Toews seemed as strong as ever. Sidney Crosby scored the last two goals of the game to ice it for Pittsburgh, giving him 36 goals on the season. He’s now at 99 points in 75 games played; as of this writing, Ryan Getzlaf is the only other player who has even exceeded 80 points on the season (81).
The Penguins are really just playing to get tuned up at this point, so this could be a confidence booster (while the ‘Hawks might just leave this one with slumped shoulders).
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)