Mar 30, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Instant replay is always a big deal when its put to use during a game, but Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would like to see its use expanded.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review hears from Bylsma about how he would like to see it put to use in other instances around the net and not just to see if pucks crossed the goal line.
“I think the goalie interference call is way too difficult for the referees to judge in the game,” Bylsma said. “The timing of it, the location of it, whether he is pushed in (to the goalie) or not. I just think it’s way too hard for the ref to judge it.”
This angle isn’t anything new as this kind of added review was discussed at the recent GM meetings in Florida.
There have been a few instances recently in which goalie interference has gotten goals waved off and, as happens with these calls, there’s a fair amount of debate as to whether or not the call was warranted.
Offense is a good thing and goals help spur the game on. Having officials take them off the board because they believe they saw something is fine, but if it’s not actually there it’s something that should be able to be reviewed.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (89)