Mar 30, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Instant replay is always a big deal when its put to use during a game, but Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would like to see its use expanded.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review hears from Bylsma about how he would like to see it put to use in other instances around the net and not just to see if pucks crossed the goal line.
“I think the goalie interference call is way too difficult for the referees to judge in the game,” Bylsma said. “The timing of it, the location of it, whether he is pushed in (to the goalie) or not. I just think it’s way too hard for the ref to judge it.”
This angle isn’t anything new as this kind of added review was discussed at the recent GM meetings in Florida.
There have been a few instances recently in which goalie interference has gotten goals waved off and, as happens with these calls, there’s a fair amount of debate as to whether or not the call was warranted.
Offense is a good thing and goals help spur the game on. Having officials take them off the board because they believe they saw something is fine, but if it’s not actually there it’s something that should be able to be reviewed.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)