Mar 30, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Instant replay is always a big deal when its put to use during a game, but Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would like to see its use expanded.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review hears from Bylsma about how he would like to see it put to use in other instances around the net and not just to see if pucks crossed the goal line.
“I think the goalie interference call is way too difficult for the referees to judge in the game,” Bylsma said. “The timing of it, the location of it, whether he is pushed in (to the goalie) or not. I just think it’s way too hard for the ref to judge it.”
This angle isn’t anything new as this kind of added review was discussed at the recent GM meetings in Florida.
There have been a few instances recently in which goalie interference has gotten goals waved off and, as happens with these calls, there’s a fair amount of debate as to whether or not the call was warranted.
Offense is a good thing and goals help spur the game on. Having officials take them off the board because they believe they saw something is fine, but if it’s not actually there it’s something that should be able to be reviewed.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)