Mar 30, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Instant replay is always a big deal when its put to use during a game, but Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would like to see its use expanded.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review hears from Bylsma about how he would like to see it put to use in other instances around the net and not just to see if pucks crossed the goal line.
“I think the goalie interference call is way too difficult for the referees to judge in the game,” Bylsma said. “The timing of it, the location of it, whether he is pushed in (to the goalie) or not. I just think it’s way too hard for the ref to judge it.”
This angle isn’t anything new as this kind of added review was discussed at the recent GM meetings in Florida.
There have been a few instances recently in which goalie interference has gotten goals waved off and, as happens with these calls, there’s a fair amount of debate as to whether or not the call was warranted.
Offense is a good thing and goals help spur the game on. Having officials take them off the board because they believe they saw something is fine, but if it’s not actually there it’s something that should be able to be reviewed.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 1
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)