Mar 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Brodeur tells Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger he’s “80-percent sure” he’ll play again next season and with his contract up after this season, he wants to know if the team he’s played for his entire career will want him back.
“It all depends on what is on the table, whether it’s in New Jersey or somewhere else. I’m open-minded about it,” Brodeur said. “I’m looking for specific things some teams probably can’t give me. And that’s understandable at my age. But if I feel I can play and people want me, we’ll see.”
Brodeur, 41, said he hasn’t closed the door on staying in New Jersey, but the Devils have moved to Cory Schneider as their No. 1 goalie and he wants to play more than he has this season.
Funny thing about that… Brodeur has appeared in 36 games this season and Schneider has been in 39. Judging by what Brodeur said, he’s angling for a starting job.
This season, Brodeur has put up a .903 save percentage, up .002 from last season, but off his career average of .912. If he’s looking to start somewhere else, he might have a tough time selling that.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)