Mar 29, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Ville Leino was only on the ice for one shift on Thursday before being shut down with lightheaded symptoms. He’s still not feeling well and was sent to be evaluated by doctors today.
The question now is if he has a concussion.
“He never got hit though,” interim coach Ted Nolan pointed out, per the Buffalo News. “He just felt it before the game. He had one shift. He went out felt a little woozy. He felt a little dizzy and it wasn’t, don’t quote me 100 percent but I don’t think he got hit. He was just out one shift and came back.
“When you’re talking about the head, it’s not like the elbow or knee or something, but your head so we have to be very, very cautious.”
Leino has played in 52 games this season and hasn’t scored a single goal. He comes with a $4.5 million cap hit through 2016-17, but the Sabres haven’t used either of their compliance buyouts.
The wrinkle is that a player can’t be bought out if he’s injured and this is the last summer that teams can take advantage of the compliance buyouts given to them as part of the new CBA. Those buyouts are different from the ordinary variety because they completely remove a player’s cap hit from the team’s books.
Meanwhile, the Sabres will play against Tampa Bay tonight. Buffalo is on pace to finish the 2013-14 campaign with the worst record in the NHL.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)