Mar 29, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Ville Leino was only on the ice for one shift on Thursday before being shut down with lightheaded symptoms. He’s still not feeling well and was sent to be evaluated by doctors today.
The question now is if he has a concussion.
“He never got hit though,” interim coach Ted Nolan pointed out, per the Buffalo News. “He just felt it before the game. He had one shift. He went out felt a little woozy. He felt a little dizzy and it wasn’t, don’t quote me 100 percent but I don’t think he got hit. He was just out one shift and came back.
“When you’re talking about the head, it’s not like the elbow or knee or something, but your head so we have to be very, very cautious.”
Leino has played in 52 games this season and hasn’t scored a single goal. He comes with a $4.5 million cap hit through 2016-17, but the Sabres haven’t used either of their compliance buyouts.
The wrinkle is that a player can’t be bought out if he’s injured and this is the last summer that teams can take advantage of the compliance buyouts given to them as part of the new CBA. Those buyouts are different from the ordinary variety because they completely remove a player’s cap hit from the team’s books.
Meanwhile, the Sabres will play against Tampa Bay tonight. Buffalo is on pace to finish the 2013-14 campaign with the worst record in the NHL.
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 0
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 0
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 3
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)