Mar 29, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals had an important game against a great club this afternoon. Rather than be motivated by that, the Capitals seemed to limp out of the gate en route to a 4-2 loss against the Boston Bruins.
“I’m shocked at the start,” Capitals coach Adam Oates told reporters after the game, per the Monumental Network.
Oates also described the team’s attention to detail as “lousy” in the first half of the contests. He added that it was “very frustrating” to see this late into the season, given everything that’s at stake. It got to the point where he considered calling a timeout to “lay into them,” but he ultimately held onto it.
Washington is in a four-way tie with Detroit, Toronto, and Columbus for the Eastern Conference Wild Card spots. However, the Capitals are in last when it comes to regulation plus overtime wins (the tiebreaker used at the end of the season) and have now played in one more game than the Red Wings and Blue Jackets.
Toronto and Detroit will play against each other tonight, so at least one of them will end up with more points than Washington.
To further complicate things, the Capitals have to play five of their final eight games on the road. They also have to get right back out there against the Nashville Predators tomorrow.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Vancouver leads L.A. by three points in the Pacific Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Vancouver creates breathing room in the Pacific Division.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Wild defeated the L.A. Kings 4-1.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Max Pacioretty scored the winner.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Toronto won for just the sixth time in 34 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Collided with Cody Goloubef in the first period.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He allowed two goals on nine first period shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Finished off a nice passing play by Jagr and Huberdeau.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s starter tested early.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Anaheim currently has the NHL’s best record as well.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Big win for the B’s.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The West’s first ticket gets punched.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
There’s plenty of debate about it being dirty or clean.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The only update so far is he’s “unlikely to return.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
A positive trend on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh killed the penalty.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)