Mar 29, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche can advance to the playoffs by getting a point against the San Jose Sharks today, but no matter what happens, this will go down as a rough afternoon for the team.
That’s because they lost leading scorer Matt Duchene to a knee injury when he crashed into teammate Jamie McGinn in the opening minute of this afternoon’s game. Duchene limped off the ice and the Avalanche have announced that he will not return today.
Going into the season, just making the playoffs would have been regarded as a huge accomplishment for the Avalanche. However, they have consistently exceeded expectations to the point where they are a legitimate threat to knock off the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks in their upcoming first-round series.
Although that matchup is all but guaranteed given the current standings, the two teams are still battling for second place in the Central Division and consequently home ice advantage.
Duchene has already established a new career-high with 70 points this season.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 1
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 28
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)