Mar 29, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
With three losses in their last four games, the Columbus Blue Jackets need to turn things around. They decided to shake up their lineup a bit on Saturday, with R.J. Umberger‘s healthy scratch serving as the most noteworthy of the two swaps.
Overall, it’s Corey Tropp in for Umberger in the forwards group and Nikita Nikitin in for Nick Schultz on defense, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline. They face the fledgling Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday.
Out of context, seeing Umberger might be a touch surprising, but his recent numbers argue that it’s more than reasonable. The 31-year-old hasn’t collected a point in five straight games and only has one (a goal on March 13) in his last nine contests. He only has five points in 17 games since February began after collecting at least six points in every previous month this season.
The Blue Jackets only scored two goals combined in these past three losses (but did manage a 4-2 win against Detroit on Tuesday), so head coach Todd Richards must hope that the team’s offense wakes up. Maybe scratching a veteran forward like Umberger will send the right message, then.
Curtis McElhinney gets the start in net for Columbus tonight, by the way.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 25
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)