Mar 29, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
With three losses in their last four games, the Columbus Blue Jackets need to turn things around. They decided to shake up their lineup a bit on Saturday, with R.J. Umberger‘s healthy scratch serving as the most noteworthy of the two swaps.
Overall, it’s Corey Tropp in for Umberger in the forwards group and Nikita Nikitin in for Nick Schultz on defense, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline. They face the fledgling Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday.
Out of context, seeing Umberger might be a touch surprising, but his recent numbers argue that it’s more than reasonable. The 31-year-old hasn’t collected a point in five straight games and only has one (a goal on March 13) in his last nine contests. He only has five points in 17 games since February began after collecting at least six points in every previous month this season.
The Blue Jackets only scored two goals combined in these past three losses (but did manage a 4-2 win against Detroit on Tuesday), so head coach Todd Richards must hope that the team’s offense wakes up. Maybe scratching a veteran forward like Umberger will send the right message, then.
Curtis McElhinney gets the start in net for Columbus tonight, by the way.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)