Mar 29, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
What is going on with the Chicago Blackhawks?
The defending Stanley Cup champions have lost three of their last four games and that includes being shut out on two of those occasions. On Friday, they fell behind the Ottawa Senators and couldn’t catch up, losing by a final score of 5-3. Forward Andrew Shaw, perhaps venting some of that recent frustration, was ejected for spearing Senators’ forward Zack Smith with less than six minutes remaining in the third period.
Making the playoffs isn’t an issue for the Blackhawks, although they have yet to officially clinch a post-season berth. Sitting at 99 points, and with seven games remaining, it is very, very likely going to happen. Now eight points back of the St. Louis Blues, the Central Division might be too far out of reach.
But still, it will be a team expected to make another run for a Stanley Cup once the playoffs get going. However, these recent struggles could be enough to cast doubt on that notion.
“It’s not one or two guys, it’s throughout our whole lineup. Everybody seems to a part of the bad habits that are running contagiously through our lineup,” said Blackhawks’ captain Jonathan Toews, as per ESPN Chicago.
“We’ll address and get better at it and not let it snowball on us.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)