Mar 29, 2014, 12:37 AM EST
What is going on with the Chicago Blackhawks?
The defending Stanley Cup champions have lost three of their last four games and that includes being shut out on two of those occasions. On Friday, they fell behind the Ottawa Senators and couldn’t catch up, losing by a final score of 5-3. Forward Andrew Shaw, perhaps venting some of that recent frustration, was ejected for spearing Senators’ forward Zack Smith with less than six minutes remaining in the third period.
Making the playoffs isn’t an issue for the Blackhawks, although they have yet to officially clinch a post-season berth. Sitting at 99 points, and with seven games remaining, it is very, very likely going to happen. Now eight points back of the St. Louis Blues, the Central Division might be too far out of reach.
But still, it will be a team expected to make another run for a Stanley Cup once the playoffs get going. However, these recent struggles could be enough to cast doubt on that notion.
“It’s not one or two guys, it’s throughout our whole lineup. Everybody seems to a part of the bad habits that are running contagiously through our lineup,” said Blackhawks’ captain Jonathan Toews, as per ESPN Chicago.
“We’ll address and get better at it and not let it snowball on us.”
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 11
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 10
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 15
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)