Mar 29, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
What is going on with the Chicago Blackhawks?
The defending Stanley Cup champions have lost three of their last four games and that includes being shut out on two of those occasions. On Friday, they fell behind the Ottawa Senators and couldn’t catch up, losing by a final score of 5-3. Forward Andrew Shaw, perhaps venting some of that recent frustration, was ejected for spearing Senators’ forward Zack Smith with less than six minutes remaining in the third period.
Making the playoffs isn’t an issue for the Blackhawks, although they have yet to officially clinch a post-season berth. Sitting at 99 points, and with seven games remaining, it is very, very likely going to happen. Now eight points back of the St. Louis Blues, the Central Division might be too far out of reach.
But still, it will be a team expected to make another run for a Stanley Cup once the playoffs get going. However, these recent struggles could be enough to cast doubt on that notion.
“It’s not one or two guys, it’s throughout our whole lineup. Everybody seems to a part of the bad habits that are running contagiously through our lineup,” said Blackhawks’ captain Jonathan Toews, as per ESPN Chicago.
“We’ll address and get better at it and not let it snowball on us.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)