Mar 28, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
A quick look ahead at some of the narratives at play this weekend…
Toronto and Detroit duke it out
There’s plenty to play for on Saturday night at the Air Canada Centre, when Toronto hosts Detroit in a huge game for Eastern Conference playoff implications.
The Wings and Leafs head into Friday’s action tied on points, with 80, though Detroit holds the final wild card spot thanks to more wins in regulation/overtime (28 to 27). Those standings could change, however — Toronto takes on Philly tonight with the opportunity to bounce back into a wild card spot.
Saturday’s game (7 p.m. ET) between these two Original Six foes will be their fourth and final meeting of the season and, if the last three matchups were any indication, it’ll be a tightly-contested affair. Detroit won the first game 5-4 in a shootout; Toronto won the second (the ’14 Winter Classic) 3-2 in a shootout; the third game was the only one not to go to extra time, but still ended in a narrow decision — 3-2, for the Wings.
Philly hosts Boston
The Flyers and Bruins will be seeing plenty of each other over the next week — they square off this Sunday at Wells Fargo (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC), then again six days later at TD Garden.
Those will be the second and third meetings of the year between the Flyers and B’s. In the first game, Boston scored a decisive 6-1 victory on the strength of two-goal performances from both Jarome Iginla and Zdeno Chara; Philly goalie Steve Mason was hooked after allowing four goals on 19 shots.
What Philly will want to do is replicate its blueprint from the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign. Like this year, the Flyers lost their first of three matchups with the Bruins… but then rallied to defeat Boston in the second and third head-to-head battles of the season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)