Mar 28, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
Well, that was quick.
Toronto Maple Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk scored only four seconds into the second period of Friday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers, setting a new franchise record for the fastest goal in a period.
The goal was technically at even strength, three seconds after Zac Rinaldo finished serving a too many men on the ice minor that carried over from late in the first period. Right off the faceoff at center ice, Tyler Bozak sent van Riemsdyk in alone down the left side, and he beat Steve Mason on the glove side.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5