Mar 28, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
It might’ve been entertaining for the fans, but not for Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock.
The Red Wings came out on the losing end of a 5-4 final score against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match up on Thursday. Sure, goals are fun for those watching. The two teams combined for five in a wild third period, too.
But Babcock has a different opinion, especially considering his team was trying to breakaway from a four-team pack all vying for that final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.
“When you start chasing the game like we were tonight, anything can happen. It’s entertaining and all that for the fans but it’s not a recipe for success whatsoever,” Babcock said afterward, as per video on the Detroit Free Press website.
The Red Wings missed out on an opportunity to jump ahead into sole possession of the top Wild Card spot in the East, ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Instead, they remain part of the four-team logjam that also includes the Blue Jackets, Washington Capitals and Toronto Maple Leafs at 80 points. There are only the two Wild Card spots available, so there’s no room for error.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)