Mar 28, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
It might’ve been entertaining for the fans, but not for Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock.
The Red Wings came out on the losing end of a 5-4 final score against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match up on Thursday. Sure, goals are fun for those watching. The two teams combined for five in a wild third period, too.
But Babcock has a different opinion, especially considering his team was trying to breakaway from a four-team pack all vying for that final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.
“When you start chasing the game like we were tonight, anything can happen. It’s entertaining and all that for the fans but it’s not a recipe for success whatsoever,” Babcock said afterward, as per video on the Detroit Free Press website.
The Red Wings missed out on an opportunity to jump ahead into sole possession of the top Wild Card spot in the East, ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Instead, they remain part of the four-team logjam that also includes the Blue Jackets, Washington Capitals and Toronto Maple Leafs at 80 points. There are only the two Wild Card spots available, so there’s no room for error.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.
May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Both forwards are New Jersey draft picks.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His contract will expire after 2015-16.
May 28, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.
May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.
May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.
May 27, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
Chicago’s mixing things up for this must-win game.
May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 1
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 45
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)