Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 PM EST
Not much of a surprise here, but the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Yes, Sidney Crosby and his bunch clinched a post-season berth with a win over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday.
The Penguins got goals from Chris Kunitz and Beau Bennett only 47 seconds apart in the third period to defeat the Blue Jackets by a final score of 2-1. The Penguins, having also put to an end a three-game losing streak, are still well out in front of the Metropolitan Division with 99 points.
However, the loss could have a huge impact on the Blue Jackets, and their playoff aspirations. Columbus is one of four teams currently tied with 80 points, but looking to grab the two Wild Card spots in the East. The math: two of those four teams, at some points, are going to pull ahead and grab those remaining spots.
The other two, well, it will be the opposite.
The Blue Jackets did get some help, as the Toronto Maple Leafs lost to the Philadelphia Flyers and have now been defeated in seven straight games.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 31
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)