Mar 28, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are in a fight with the Anaheim Ducks to see who takes home the Pacific Division title and gets to avoid playing the Los Angeles Kings in the first round of the playoffs.
The Sharks lost to the Winnipeg Jets 4-3 on a late power play goal by Tobias Enstrom on Thursday night and hold a two point lead in the Pacific on the Ducks. The Sharks’ problem is that the Ducks have three games in hand.
As Kevin Kurz at CSNBayArea.com shares, San Jose knows they can’t lose games like that or else they’ll put themselves in trouble.
“We can’t give away points,” Joe Pavelski said. “We’ve given away a few too many lately. [Anaheim] has got the games in hand. If they do their job they’ll be there, but there’s still quite a bit of hockey left.”
That is true, there’s a lot of hockey to go, and when you look at the remaining schedules for the Ducks and Sharks, there are landmines to be found all over.
Out of the Ducks’ remaining 13 games, they have three games with Edmonton. However, their final four games are at Vancouver, home against the Sharks, at Los Angeles, and home against Colorado. Yikes.
Of their final 10 games, San Jose has two left against Colorado and close the season in Phoenix against a Coyotes team that may be fighting to make the playoffs.
As always, the mantra this time of year is, “Just win, baby.” Saying it and actually doing it are very different things.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)