Mar 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Tim Bozon, the Montreal prospect that had been placed in a medically-induced coma while suffering from meningitis, was released from Saskatoon’s Royal University Hospital on Friday.
“I’m feeling a lot better now … I’m excited to leave the hospital,” Bozon said Friday, per The Province. “From what I have learned since coming out of the coma, the people here at the Royal University Hospital went to amazing lengths to save my life. To them, first and foremost, my heartfelt thanks.
“But I must also extend gratitude to everyone who sent me their thoughts and prayers, especially my parents, who rushed here from France to be by my side.”
Bozon’s father, Philippe, is a former NHL player that spent four seasons with St. Louis in the early ’90s. He said his son’s recovery was “amazing” considering Tim spent most of the past month in intensive care, including several days in the aforementioned coma, designed to reduce swelling around his brain.
As for the future, Dr. Gary Hunter said he has high hopes for Bozon — the 64th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — resuming his playing career.
“Bacterial meningitis in young people that are young and healthy is uncommon, in the first place, this particular bug is even more uncommon. We don’t have a good reason for why he contracted it besides bad luck, really,” he explained, per Yahoo.
“It’s very difficult to speculate exactly on his long-term neurological prognosis but his early progress has been so tremendous and he’s such a healthy guy that I’m very optimistic about that [playing hockey again].”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)