Mar 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Tim Bozon, the Montreal prospect that had been placed in a medically-induced coma while suffering from meningitis, was released from Saskatoon’s Royal University Hospital on Friday.
“I’m feeling a lot better now … I’m excited to leave the hospital,” Bozon said Friday, per The Province. “From what I have learned since coming out of the coma, the people here at the Royal University Hospital went to amazing lengths to save my life. To them, first and foremost, my heartfelt thanks.
“But I must also extend gratitude to everyone who sent me their thoughts and prayers, especially my parents, who rushed here from France to be by my side.”
Bozon’s father, Philippe, is a former NHL player that spent four seasons with St. Louis in the early ’90s. He said his son’s recovery was “amazing” considering Tim spent most of the past month in intensive care, including several days in the aforementioned coma, designed to reduce swelling around his brain.
As for the future, Dr. Gary Hunter said he has high hopes for Bozon — the 64th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — resuming his playing career.
“Bacterial meningitis in young people that are young and healthy is uncommon, in the first place, this particular bug is even more uncommon. We don’t have a good reason for why he contracted it besides bad luck, really,” he explained, per Yahoo.
“It’s very difficult to speculate exactly on his long-term neurological prognosis but his early progress has been so tremendous and he’s such a healthy guy that I’m very optimistic about that [playing hockey again].”
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13