Mar 28, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
The winning streak is over at three games. And the already faint hope of making it into the playoffs might be completely lost, too, for the Vancouver Canucks.
The Canucks lost the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 3-2 in overtime on Thursday night. It’s a single point. But they needed two if they are to have any chance of qualifying for the post-season. The Phoenix Coyotes, despite giving up a two-goal lead to the New Jersey Devils, still won in the shootout to maintain their position as the second Wild Card team in the Western Conference.
It was a far from ideal evening for the Canucks, even though it could’ve easily gone the other way with what was happening between the Coyotes and Devils. But, it didn’t end that way.
The remain 10th in the conference, despite being tied with the Dallas Stars at 79 points. The Coyotes are still five points ahead of both teams. The Canucks, however, have played 75 games. Dallas has three games in hand, while Phoenix has one.
Despite the odds being greatly stacked against them, the coach was still trying to remain positive.
“We’re right there. We’re still in it,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella, as per the Associated Press. “We’re fine. We’re fine in our room. We’re going to keep on playing.”
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 17
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)