Mar 28, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
The winning streak is over at three games. And the already faint hope of making it into the playoffs might be completely lost, too, for the Vancouver Canucks.
The Canucks lost the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 3-2 in overtime on Thursday night. It’s a single point. But they needed two if they are to have any chance of qualifying for the post-season. The Phoenix Coyotes, despite giving up a two-goal lead to the New Jersey Devils, still won in the shootout to maintain their position as the second Wild Card team in the Western Conference.
It was a far from ideal evening for the Canucks, even though it could’ve easily gone the other way with what was happening between the Coyotes and Devils. But, it didn’t end that way.
The remain 10th in the conference, despite being tied with the Dallas Stars at 79 points. The Coyotes are still five points ahead of both teams. The Canucks, however, have played 75 games. Dallas has three games in hand, while Phoenix has one.
Despite the odds being greatly stacked against them, the coach was still trying to remain positive.
“We’re right there. We’re still in it,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella, as per the Associated Press. “We’re fine. We’re fine in our room. We’re going to keep on playing.”
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)