Mar 27, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo left Thursday’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes for what George Richards of the Miami Herald reported as precautionary reasons, after the Florida Panthers goalie was run into by Radek Dvorak.
The incident occurred in the first period of the Hurricanes’ 3-0 win over the Panthers. Dvorak was driving hard to the net down the right side, but couldn’t stop in time.
He ran right into Luongo, and was then ejected from the game. Dvorak received a major penalty for charging and a game misconduct.
Dvorak seemed contrite about the incident afterward.
“It was not intentional, I tried to stop,’’ Dvorak said, as per the Miami Herald. “That’s not my game. I would never try and hurt the goalie. I got pushed a little and tried to hold up. I kind of felt bad. I never want to hurt anyone out there. It just happened.’’
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 13
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)