Mar 27, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes were less than a second away from getting out of the second period with a two-goal lead.
And then the New Jersey Devils got a goal from Ryane Clowe with 0.3 seconds remaining in the middle period, cutting the Coyotes’ lead in half. A garbage goal, it was. Clowe was driven from behind to the ice by Jeff Halpern when the pass out front was made. The puck hit off Clowe and past Thomas Greiss.
Here’s the explanation of the goal, courtesy the league’s Situation Room Blog:
At 19:59 of the second period in the Phoenix Coyotes/New Jersey Devils game, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that Jon Merrill‘s shot deflected off of Ryane Clowe and into the net in a legal fashion, completely crossing the goal line with 0.3 seconds remaining on the clock. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good Goal New Jersey.
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 10
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 21
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 47
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)