Mar 27, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes were less than a second away from getting out of the second period with a two-goal lead.
And then the New Jersey Devils got a goal from Ryane Clowe with 0.3 seconds remaining in the middle period, cutting the Coyotes’ lead in half. A garbage goal, it was. Clowe was driven from behind to the ice by Jeff Halpern when the pass out front was made. The puck hit off Clowe and past Thomas Greiss.
Here’s the explanation of the goal, courtesy the league’s Situation Room Blog:
At 19:59 of the second period in the Phoenix Coyotes/New Jersey Devils game, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that Jon Merrill‘s shot deflected off of Ryane Clowe and into the net in a legal fashion, completely crossing the goal line with 0.3 seconds remaining on the clock. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good Goal New Jersey.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)