Mar 27, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes were less than a second away from getting out of the second period with a two-goal lead.
And then the New Jersey Devils got a goal from Ryane Clowe with 0.3 seconds remaining in the middle period, cutting the Coyotes’ lead in half. A garbage goal, it was. Clowe was driven from behind to the ice by Jeff Halpern when the pass out front was made. The puck hit off Clowe and past Thomas Greiss.
Here’s the explanation of the goal, courtesy the league’s Situation Room Blog:
At 19:59 of the second period in the Phoenix Coyotes/New Jersey Devils game, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that Jon Merrill‘s shot deflected off of Ryane Clowe and into the net in a legal fashion, completely crossing the goal line with 0.3 seconds remaining on the clock. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good Goal New Jersey.
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 18
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 11
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)