Mar 27, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes were less than a second away from getting out of the second period with a two-goal lead.
And then the New Jersey Devils got a goal from Ryane Clowe with 0.3 seconds remaining in the middle period, cutting the Coyotes’ lead in half. A garbage goal, it was. Clowe was driven from behind to the ice by Jeff Halpern when the pass out front was made. The puck hit off Clowe and past Thomas Greiss.
Here’s the explanation of the goal, courtesy the league’s Situation Room Blog:
At 19:59 of the second period in the Phoenix Coyotes/New Jersey Devils game, video review confirmed the referee’s call on the ice that Jon Merrill‘s shot deflected off of Ryane Clowe and into the net in a legal fashion, completely crossing the goal line with 0.3 seconds remaining on the clock. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good Goal New Jersey.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 27
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)