Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford, either by accident or by design, pushed the net up from the back on what looked to be sure Boston Bruins goal in the third period of Thursday’s game.
Nice try. Didn’t work.
Crawford got caught on a giveaway after he played the puck behind the net. As Bruins’ center Patrice Bergeron was about to shoot into a wide open net, Crawford pushed the net up from the back, causing the puck not to hit the mesh but to go out the other side.
The referee closest to the play immediately waved it off. However, upon review, the call on the ice was overturned. It was Boston’s second goal in 13 seconds in the third period, as they defeated the defending Stanley Cup champions by a final of 3-0.
From the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 5:41 of the third period in the Chicago Blackhawks/Boston Bruins game, the Situation Room initiated video review after the puck entered the Chicago net. The Situation Room supported the referees’ group decision on the ice that the net remained in its proper place when Patrice Bergeron’s shot crossed the goal line. Initially, the referee closest to the net had waved off the goal, but after consulting with the other officials, the referees’ group decision was a good goal. Video review supported that group decision. According to Rule 78.4 “The goal frame shall be considered in its proper position when at least a portion of the flexible peg(s) are still inside both the goal post and the hole in the ice”. Good goal Boston.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)