Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford, either by accident or by design, pushed the net up from the back on what looked to be sure Boston Bruins goal in the third period of Thursday’s game.
Nice try. Didn’t work.
Crawford got caught on a giveaway after he played the puck behind the net. As Bruins’ center Patrice Bergeron was about to shoot into a wide open net, Crawford pushed the net up from the back, causing the puck not to hit the mesh but to go out the other side.
The referee closest to the play immediately waved it off. However, upon review, the call on the ice was overturned. It was Boston’s second goal in 13 seconds in the third period, as they defeated the defending Stanley Cup champions by a final of 3-0.
From the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 5:41 of the third period in the Chicago Blackhawks/Boston Bruins game, the Situation Room initiated video review after the puck entered the Chicago net. The Situation Room supported the referees’ group decision on the ice that the net remained in its proper place when Patrice Bergeron’s shot crossed the goal line. Initially, the referee closest to the net had waved off the goal, but after consulting with the other officials, the referees’ group decision was a good goal. Video review supported that group decision. According to Rule 78.4 “The goal frame shall be considered in its proper position when at least a portion of the flexible peg(s) are still inside both the goal post and the hole in the ice”. Good goal Boston.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 114
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 93
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (114)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)