Mar 27, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
St. Louis gave up a lot to acquire goaltender Ryan Miller from the Buffalo Sabres and he’s excelled with his new team, so it’s no surprise that the Blues want to re-sign him. It remains to be seen if Miller’s plans align.
The Blues have made their intentions clear to Miller’s agent, Mike Liut and don’t want this process to drag to the start of the free agent period on July 1, according to TSN.ca.
The problem is that Miller might want to wait until he gets a better idea of what the market might be like for him.
“The conventional wisdom among the hockey community is that one of the reasons Miller wants to wait until free agency on July 1 is to see if there’s any interest from the Anaheim Ducks,” TSN’s Bob McKenzie said.
He explained that Miller’s interest in the Ducks might be family driven, given that his wife is actress Noureen DeWulf and she spends a lot of time working in Hollywood.
With Ducks goaltender Jonas Hiller‘s contract set to expire this summer, it’s not unreasonable to believe that Anaheim will be interested in Miller’s services.
Regardless of what happens in June or July, Miller is a member of the Blues right now and they are serious contenders for the Stanley Cup with him between the pipes.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)