Mar 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Leave it to Jaromir Jagr to find the silver lining in the New Jersey Devils’ dreary situation. With 10 games left in the Devils’ schedule, they need to win all of their remaining games or come close to it in order to make the playoffs.
That’s a highly improbable task, but the 42-year-old forward is thinking: What if we pull it off?
“We have an opportunity to make a great story if we make it,” Jagr said, per the Star-Ledger. “So at least it’s exciting. That’s the way I look at it.
“It would be something to remember. Something special. If we get in, I’d rather get in by winning the last 10 games.”
Last 11 contests actually, given that the hypothetical streak would start with their 3-2 victory over Toronto on Sunday.
The Devils will try to keep that hope alive tonight against the Phoenix Coyotes. Like the Devils, Phoenix is battling for a playoff spot, although the Coyotes don’t need a finish worthy of a Hollywood movie to secure a postseason berth.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)