Mar 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Leave it to Jaromir Jagr to find the silver lining in the New Jersey Devils’ dreary situation. With 10 games left in the Devils’ schedule, they need to win all of their remaining games or come close to it in order to make the playoffs.
That’s a highly improbable task, but the 42-year-old forward is thinking: What if we pull it off?
“We have an opportunity to make a great story if we make it,” Jagr said, per the Star-Ledger. “So at least it’s exciting. That’s the way I look at it.
“It would be something to remember. Something special. If we get in, I’d rather get in by winning the last 10 games.”
Last 11 contests actually, given that the hypothetical streak would start with their 3-2 victory over Toronto on Sunday.
The Devils will try to keep that hope alive tonight against the Phoenix Coyotes. Like the Devils, Phoenix is battling for a playoff spot, although the Coyotes don’t need a finish worthy of a Hollywood movie to secure a postseason berth.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)