Mar 27, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Derek Roy will be back in the Blues’ lineup tonight (versus Minnesota) after missing two games with a shoulder injury, and he’ll be centering a third line — with gritty veterans Steve Ott and Brenden Morrow — for which coach Ken Hitchcock has high hopes.
“The line that we’re playing together with Roy on it has played three times together before, and all three games they’ve played really well together,” Hitchcock said, per NHL.com. “It’s three veteran guys that know how to read off each other. Obviously Ott takes a lot of the faceoffs and ends up down low in our zone.”
Roy, Morrow, and Ott are all pending unrestricted free agents who may or may not be back with the Blues next season. The first two signed one-year deals in the offseason; Ott was acquired in a deadline trade with Buffalo, along with pending-UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I want to see [the line] play consistently well before we evaluate whether we’re going to stay with it or not,” added Hitchcock. “I’m not 100-percent sure yet.”
The Blues are gearing up for one of the most important playoff runs in franchise history. St. Louis has never won a Stanley Cup, but there’s a strong sense that could change this spring, despite a very tough Western Conference.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)