Mar 27, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Derek Roy will be back in the Blues’ lineup tonight (versus Minnesota) after missing two games with a shoulder injury, and he’ll be centering a third line — with gritty veterans Steve Ott and Brenden Morrow — for which coach Ken Hitchcock has high hopes.
“The line that we’re playing together with Roy on it has played three times together before, and all three games they’ve played really well together,” Hitchcock said, per NHL.com. “It’s three veteran guys that know how to read off each other. Obviously Ott takes a lot of the faceoffs and ends up down low in our zone.”
Roy, Morrow, and Ott are all pending unrestricted free agents who may or may not be back with the Blues next season. The first two signed one-year deals in the offseason; Ott was acquired in a deadline trade with Buffalo, along with pending-UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I want to see [the line] play consistently well before we evaluate whether we’re going to stay with it or not,” added Hitchcock. “I’m not 100-percent sure yet.”
The Blues are gearing up for one of the most important playoff runs in franchise history. St. Louis has never won a Stanley Cup, but there’s a strong sense that could change this spring, despite a very tough Western Conference.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)