Mar 27, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Desperate to keep their slim playoff chances alive, the Devils were dealt a tough blow when captain Bryce Salvador was scratched with a lower-body injury just prior to tonight’s game against the Coyotes.
The ailment, believed to be a groin issue, kept Salvador out of practice this week, but there was no confirmation he’d be missing tonight’s big game until just prior to puck drop.
Health-wise, it’s been a tough season for the 38-year-old — he missed 30 straight games from October to December with a non-displaced stress fracture in his foot, then missed a pair of games in early March with a bruised collarbone.
All told, Salvador has appeared in just 40 games this year, scoring one goal and four points. He has one more year remaining on his three-year, $9.5 million deal.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)