Mar 27, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Desperate to keep their slim playoff chances alive, the Devils were dealt a tough blow when captain Bryce Salvador was scratched with a lower-body injury just prior to tonight’s game against the Coyotes.
The ailment, believed to be a groin issue, kept Salvador out of practice this week, but there was no confirmation he’d be missing tonight’s big game until just prior to puck drop.
Health-wise, it’s been a tough season for the 38-year-old — he missed 30 straight games from October to December with a non-displaced stress fracture in his foot, then missed a pair of games in early March with a bruised collarbone.
All told, Salvador has appeared in just 40 games this year, scoring one goal and four points. He has one more year remaining on his three-year, $9.5 million deal.
- Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 10
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 5
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29