Mar 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes nearly surrendered valuable points on Thursday.
The Coyotes grabbed a two-goal lead but then promptly coughed that up before defeating the New Jersey Devils by a final score of 3-2 in the shootout. Mikkel Boedker scored the lone goal in the skills competition, roofing the puck on a pretty backhand move that beat Martin Brodeur.
The Devils began the comeback thanks to a goal from Ryane Clowe with only 0.3 seconds remaining in the second period. But Phoenix eventually prevailed. The two points were huge for the Coyotes, as they look to maintain their hold on a playoff position in the Western Conference.
They still remain in the second and final Wild Card spot in the West, now five points ahead of the ninth-place and idle Dallas Stars. But rather than looking behind them, the Coyotes have a new target in front of them. The win over New Jersey moved Phoenix to within a single point of the struggling Minnesota Wild for the top Wild Card.
The Wild were in St. Louis, playing the Blues in the second half of a back-to-back set that included a loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday.
The Coyotes also completed a three-game road trip through the Eastern Conference.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)