Mar 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes nearly surrendered valuable points on Thursday.
The Coyotes grabbed a two-goal lead but then promptly coughed that up before defeating the New Jersey Devils by a final score of 3-2 in the shootout. Mikkel Boedker scored the lone goal in the skills competition, roofing the puck on a pretty backhand move that beat Martin Brodeur.
The Devils began the comeback thanks to a goal from Ryane Clowe with only 0.3 seconds remaining in the second period. But Phoenix eventually prevailed. The two points were huge for the Coyotes, as they look to maintain their hold on a playoff position in the Western Conference.
They still remain in the second and final Wild Card spot in the West, now five points ahead of the ninth-place and idle Dallas Stars. But rather than looking behind them, the Coyotes have a new target in front of them. The win over New Jersey moved Phoenix to within a single point of the struggling Minnesota Wild for the top Wild Card.
The Wild were in St. Louis, playing the Blues in the second half of a back-to-back set that included a loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday.
The Coyotes also completed a three-game road trip through the Eastern Conference.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)