Mar 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes nearly surrendered valuable points on Thursday.
The Coyotes grabbed a two-goal lead but then promptly coughed that up before defeating the New Jersey Devils by a final score of 3-2 in the shootout. Mikkel Boedker scored the lone goal in the skills competition, roofing the puck on a pretty backhand move that beat Martin Brodeur.
The Devils began the comeback thanks to a goal from Ryane Clowe with only 0.3 seconds remaining in the second period. But Phoenix eventually prevailed. The two points were huge for the Coyotes, as they look to maintain their hold on a playoff position in the Western Conference.
They still remain in the second and final Wild Card spot in the West, now five points ahead of the ninth-place and idle Dallas Stars. But rather than looking behind them, the Coyotes have a new target in front of them. The win over New Jersey moved Phoenix to within a single point of the struggling Minnesota Wild for the top Wild Card.
The Wild were in St. Louis, playing the Blues in the second half of a back-to-back set that included a loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday.
The Coyotes also completed a three-game road trip through the Eastern Conference.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)