Mar 27, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s power play has been red hot lately, largely because head coach Jon Cooper has figured out the formula for success — keep it simple, stupid, and reference a legendary WWF wrestler.
“You put a shooter [Stamkos] in there, then put a guy in there that is fearless in front of the net [Callahan] and it equates to power-play goals,” he said. “Honestly it’s that simple.”
Stamkos’ shot has led to four power-play goals over his past seven games.
“Everybody knows about his shot,” Valtteri Filppula said. “If he’s open, we’ll try to get the puck to him.”
The Bolts have scored power play goals in five straight games, going 8-for-24 overall with the man advantage during that stretch. It’s pushed the PP up to 16th overall (18.3 percent) in the NHL — no small feat, considering the unit was awful in November (4-for-44) and December (5-for-41).
Stamkos has been great, as expected, but others have performed as well. Callahan’s net-front contributions are well documented; Ondrej Palat has five power play assists in his last five games, while Victor Hedman has a goal an assist with the man advantage in the last two contests.
Stamkos was especially complimentary of what the first two bring to the table.
“This year we have Callahan and Palat that are willing to get in there and get the puck back for us,” the Bolts captain explained. “That’s when you really wear teams down, when you get that second, third, fourth opportunity on the power play.
“I think that’s been our Achilles heel in the past.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)