Mar 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins just keep on rolling.
Patrice Bergeron scored twice and Tuukka Rask made 28 saves for the shutout, as the Bruins won for the 13th time in their last 14 games by defeating the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Chicago Blackhawks 3-0 on Thursday.
In that lone loss over this terrific stretch, the Bruins still gained a point. So, yeah, they appear to be hitting their peak with the playoffs right around the corner.
The Bruins have been to the Stanley Cup Final twice in the past three seasons, winning in 2011. So, as good as a winning streak in March is, this team has a bigger goal in mind.
“We’re in right position right now as far as where our game is at. But satisfied is a word that doesn’t exist in our room,” said head coach Claude Julien, as per Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
The Bruins used the the quick-strike method to put the Blackhawks away in the third period. Carl Soderberg and Patrice Bergeron scored 13 seconds apart to increase Boston’s lead from one to three goals.
On the Bergeron goal, Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford, who coughed up the puck behind the net and tried to recover in time, pushed the net upward from the back, which caused the puck to go out the other side instead of hitting the mesh. After a review, the original call on the ice – no goal – was overturned.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)