Mar 26, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The first step for the Detroit Red Wings is to make the playoffs. Otherwise there’s no hope their captain, Henrik Zetterberg, will play for them again this season.
From the Detroit Free Pres:
Zetterberg spoke to media today for the first time since undergoing back surgery that requires a minimum of eight weeks of rehabilitation, a date that falls around April 18-19. The Detroit Red Wings finish the regular season April 13, and are in an extremely tight race to make the playoffs. Realistically, they’d need to go two rounds for there to be any talk of Zetterberg returning – and that depends, of course, on there being no setbacks.
Zetterberg told reporters that his goal is to “play hockey again this year,” but that won’t be possible unless the Wings get into the postseason without him.
If the playoffs started today, the Wings would face the Bruins in the first round.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)