Mar 26, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
The first step for the Detroit Red Wings is to make the playoffs. Otherwise there’s no hope their captain, Henrik Zetterberg, will play for them again this season.
From the Detroit Free Pres:
Zetterberg spoke to media today for the first time since undergoing back surgery that requires a minimum of eight weeks of rehabilitation, a date that falls around April 18-19. The Detroit Red Wings finish the regular season April 13, and are in an extremely tight race to make the playoffs. Realistically, they’d need to go two rounds for there to be any talk of Zetterberg returning – and that depends, of course, on there being no setbacks.
Zetterberg told reporters that his goal is to “play hockey again this year,” but that won’t be possible unless the Wings get into the postseason without him.
If the playoffs started today, the Wings would face the Bruins in the first round.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)