Video: Sharks’ Burish suffers gruesome hand injury

Mar 26, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT

The San Jose Sharks beat the Edmonton Oilers 5-2 on Tuesday, but the lasting image wasn’t of Joe Pavelski‘s hat trick.

Instead, it came when rugged Sharks forward Adam Burish suffered a frightening hand injury blocking a shot. To give you a chance to avoid the worst of it – warning: it’s gross – here’s a link of a screen cap via CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil.

The video below doesn’t get too rough until about the 30-second mark, in case you’re still in avoid mode.

1. lowenni - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Is his finger bent?!?! Hockey players are tough. Nuff said.

2. charlieconway96 - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:11 AM

For as long as I’ve been using the internets I should have learned by now to just not click on these videos.

3. stcrowe - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:18 AM

My eyes aren’t what they used to be. I couldn’t see much. For that, I am kind of thankful.

Just to go off topic a little, I have to agree with the announcer about how you don’t have an NHL goalie if you need to block a shot from that far out.

• storminator16 - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Intentionally jumping in front of shots will always be lunacy to me.

• c9castine - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM

i didnt notice, was this a penalty kill? you always block the shot. yes you have an NHL goalie but

that doesnt mean deflections cant happen. shots from the point are hardly ever direct shots with no screen. maybe the goalie cant see it and makes the save and the puck is just laying there for somebody to put home. lots of things can happen.

a shot that doesnt make it to the net will never go in. pretty simple.

4. c9castine - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM

yep, finger exploded…

surgical reattachment. thatll sit him down for a while.

5. enollatsknarf - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Gruesome?!!! I was expecting to see a bloody stump.

• c9castine - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:38 AM

i was expecting like some sort of open wound…thatd have been gross. then i would have hated myself for clicking which is weird because i knew what i was doing….

anyway, that finger looked destroyed but ill bet itll be fine in a couple months. fingers are pretty resilient little buggers based on their simplicity.

6. stcrowe - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Having now seen a close-up still frame, that really was gross. Strangely, the same thing happened to a junior kid in the QMJHL just last week.

7. muckleflugga - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:30 AM

i’ve always wondered why players don’t keep specialized sticks and gloves for use on special teams

straight bladed sticks that don’t break and gloves encased in armour … pads that take a bit of compressed air to inflate and become bulkier

a variation of craig ludwig’s but retractable

• btlpper68 - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM

That’s a good idea actually

8. blomfeld - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:33 AM

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING …

9. nightfireop - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:35 AM

i refuse to watch the video, and i hate having to read stuff about players getting injured playing [no matter the team]. i hope burish gets well soon.

10. nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 26, 2014 at 4:08 AM

Hey Mr O’Brien, for those of us not in the mood to be grossed out by the video, I’m giving you zero points for actually informing us of anything other than “frightening hand injury”. Didn’t occur to you to include a brief description? Use your words, son.

11. comeonnowguys - Mar 26, 2014 at 7:36 AM

There needs to be a rating system.

0 to Kevin Ware.

12. matt14gg - Mar 26, 2014 at 7:51 AM

I’ll say it again…the NHL is going to make some changes to “shot-blocking”. People complain constantly about finding ways to create more offense in the game and while I am definitely a purist, outlawing intentional shot blocking makes the most sense. It would reduce injuries and also have the desired effect of increasing shots (and quality shots) on goal.

13. mattymarts17 - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I cannot see this injury. What happened to his hand?

• mattymarts17 - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Oh, there it is… Oof!

14. sjsharks66 - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:43 AM

That is a very crazy injury. Looks like his finger is barely attached to his hand. Get well soon Burish. Hopefully we will see you healthy for next season. Because I doubt he is coming back soon from this one.

15. joey4id - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I’d rather see this than a player get knocked a la Moen by a punch to the temple. You can fix a bone, but not the brain.

• thailer35 - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM

As evidenced by your posting about fighting in a completely unrelated article, no, you cannot fix the brain.

• joey4id - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM

LOL! You got me laughing. Best insult written about me since I’ve been on PHT. You my “not so good friend” get a slow clap for that one.

• thailer35 - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I aim to please.

Queue not-so-macho-but-about-as-smarst-as-a-sasquatcho calling us both blomfeld and telling us to shut up.

16. wishingtonredslur - Mar 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Damn! That is the worst case of rubber wrist I have ever seen. I hope he gets better but that dude is done for the year aka DFTY pronounced DEFTY.

17. ejheim62 - Mar 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM

dang. If he isn’t married, his love life’s gonna be in tatters for a few months

Top 10 NHL Player Searches