Mar 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Roy Sommer, the coach of San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, will set an American League record tonight by coaching his 1,257th career game — surpassing league legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Frank Mathers in the process.
“This record is a testament to the hard work, dedication and expertise that Roy Sommer brings with him to the rink each and every day and we as an organization want to congratulate him on this incredible achievement,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said in a statement. “Reaching a milestone of this magnitude shows just how important a role Roy has played in the development of our players and prospects.
“Countless players have learned under his direction and his talent for molding young hockey players has played a key role in our organization’s success.”
Sommer, 56, joined the Sharks organization in 1996 and spent two years as an assistant coach under Darryl Sutter before taking the AHL gig. During his time in the minors, he’s seen 80 players graduate to play for the Sharks and, this season, 18 of the 29 players to appear in a game for San Jose played for Sommer at some point in the club’s developmental system.
In addition to setting the games coached record, Sommer has been moving up the AHL wins list as well. He currently sits fourth, behind the likes of John Paddock, Mathers and the legendary Fred “Bun” Cook.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)