Mar 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Roy Sommer, the coach of San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, will set an American League record tonight by coaching his 1,257th career game — surpassing league legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Frank Mathers in the process.
“This record is a testament to the hard work, dedication and expertise that Roy Sommer brings with him to the rink each and every day and we as an organization want to congratulate him on this incredible achievement,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said in a statement. “Reaching a milestone of this magnitude shows just how important a role Roy has played in the development of our players and prospects.
“Countless players have learned under his direction and his talent for molding young hockey players has played a key role in our organization’s success.”
Sommer, 56, joined the Sharks organization in 1996 and spent two years as an assistant coach under Darryl Sutter before taking the AHL gig. During his time in the minors, he’s seen 80 players graduate to play for the Sharks and, this season, 18 of the 29 players to appear in a game for San Jose played for Sommer at some point in the club’s developmental system.
In addition to setting the games coached record, Sommer has been moving up the AHL wins list as well. He currently sits fourth, behind the likes of John Paddock, Mathers and the legendary Fred “Bun” Cook.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 14
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)