Mar 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Roy Sommer, the coach of San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, will set an American League record tonight by coaching his 1,257th career game — surpassing league legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Frank Mathers in the process.
“This record is a testament to the hard work, dedication and expertise that Roy Sommer brings with him to the rink each and every day and we as an organization want to congratulate him on this incredible achievement,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said in a statement. “Reaching a milestone of this magnitude shows just how important a role Roy has played in the development of our players and prospects.
“Countless players have learned under his direction and his talent for molding young hockey players has played a key role in our organization’s success.”
Sommer, 56, joined the Sharks organization in 1996 and spent two years as an assistant coach under Darryl Sutter before taking the AHL gig. During his time in the minors, he’s seen 80 players graduate to play for the Sharks and, this season, 18 of the 29 players to appear in a game for San Jose played for Sommer at some point in the club’s developmental system.
In addition to setting the games coached record, Sommer has been moving up the AHL wins list as well. He currently sits fourth, behind the likes of John Paddock, Mathers and the legendary Fred “Bun” Cook.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 14
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)