Rangers continue MSG dominance of Flyers, win fifth in a row

Mar 26, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Wayne Simmonds,  Brian Boyle AP

If the playoffs began tonight, the New York Rangers would have home-ice advantage against the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round of the 2014 postseason. The simplest numbers would argue that would be bad news for the Flyers.

With Wednesday’s 3-1 win, the Rangers now hold an eight-game winning streak against the Flyers at Madison Square Garden. The NBCSN telecast points out that Claude Giroux hasn’t scored a goal in that specific span, which is hard to fathom for a superstar who ranks as one of the hottest players in the league (especially lately).

Return of the King

It’s probably unfair to boil it all down to goalies (particularly considering the fact that Steve Mason just saw a four-game winning streak end and has generally been strong since February), but those who do will point out a much stronger night for Henrik Lundqvist. The Swede seems to be finding his game, with the greatest evidence being that he held off the Flyers in the first period despite Philly’s 15 opening-frame shots.

Especially unfair folks will milk a goal Mason would like to have back:

Road ahead

That victory gives the Rangers a five-game winning streak and a three-point lead over the Flyers for second place in the Metropolitan Division, although it’s far from settled since Philly holds two games in hand.

Those remaining 10 contests could prove challenging, however. Philly could very well slip back into the wild card fray, as a Friday home game against Toronto holds serious weight. After that, it’s a Sunday home game against Boston (on NBC) followed by a road-heavy April schedule.

The Rangers are red-hot and face an interesting closing stretch. While they play four in a row on the road beginning on Friday, it starts with two cellar dwellers (Calgary and Edmonton) before Alain Vigneault returns to Vancouver on April Fool’s Day (just wait for the jokes there) and then an interesting road test against Colorado. If the Rangers can stay hot there, it could be a lucrative finish to the season, as they face three teams outside of the playoff picture at home and then finish the season on the road against Montreal.

Long story short, this win is helpful for the Rangers and irritating for Philly – especially if you take it as an omen – yet both teams still have plenty of work to do.

1. killerpgh - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM

What a punk move by Simmonds at the end of the game. Slashes McDonagh’s glove off then swings away at his bare hand.

• joey4id - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Yep. That was a cheap move by a very frustrated player. Hartnell whining at the ref….. Taking a shot at Girardi at the end of the game. This is a team who’s fans get all over their PA rivals for doing the same.

• ajg314 - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Sometimes I worry too much, but I’m worried about missing Kreider during the playoffs, and I worry about St. Louis breaking out of his funk because we’re going to need his scoring in the playoffs, and I worry about the power play not being as good as it was earlier this season.

• jpelle82 - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM

hartnell was mad about getting leveled, understandable to an extent although i swear he spends more time on his ass than he does on his feet so he should be used to it by now. i dont see how a guy can be so terrible at skating and still make 5 million a year in the nhl. anyway…dont know what simmonds problem was except just frustration…he went a little james neal there for a minute on mcdonaugh. maybe simmonds was listening to the broadcast and was as annoyed as i was…heaven forbid anyone ruin the mcdonaugh worship party that last night’s telecast was though. havent heard that level of man-love for a player in a while. i think i heard pierre repeat “he’s so aware” like 3 times in a row with tears in his eye. good rivalry game. should be the best opening round series too come playoff time.

• joey4id - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Yeah! I watched part of the game on the French broadcast and didn’t go overboard with the McD worship. As soon as I turned to the English broadcast I noticed the difference. But! Truth be told, he is very good. Will he be a Norris candidate this year? I see him in the mix with Keith, Pietrangelo, and Niskanen,

• flyerspsu - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Yeah that was real cheap, if the flyers are down and have little chance of coming back expect some hacks and slashes from Simmonds and Hartnell, but let’s not get carried away and say its the same as the penguins antics, if it were blindside elbows or crosschecks to the head or jabs to groin and they weren’t willing to back them up than sure, that’s penguins, but its not quite to that level, cheap, but not penguins cheap

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:05 AM

oh listen to yourself.

• flyerspsu - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Don’t get me wrong it was cheap, especially the slash to mcdonaghs open hand but I’m just saying its not to the pens level, the pens tend to take it to the next level of dirtiness, whining and b*itchiness where they are so afraid of backing any of it up while it being considerably dirtier, which you can’t say that was the case here

• moarjam - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Simmonds was definitely scummy there but whatever. I don’t think he planned to knock his glove off and then hit his hand. Things happen when your frustrated. I’ve done worse in the last seconds of games I’ve lost. And Hartnell was obviously pissed about getting wrecked by Girardi earlier.

And I love how a rangers-flyers article turns into flyers-pens who’s dirtier battle haha.

• jpelle82 - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM

slashing wrists is exactly what giroux was whining about wasnt it? ….hmmmm

• homieshome - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM

That was 1 HELLUVA game. Rangers have consistently got it together and started played confidently at just the right time. And this might sound weird coming from a Rangers fan but i love the Flyers Voracek. I love watching him, reminds me of Dubinsky. I just love him. Flyers you have 1 hell of a team, really hope to play eachother in the 1st round. Goodluck, GO RANGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM

idk man, I’m finding Voracek to be a lot of show, aside from the PP. and even on the PP, he flubs the most amount of cross-ice passes. there’s no doubt that his speed and willingness to try moves is fun to watch, but I’d like to see him get back to the production he showed at the beginning of the season.

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:18 AM

then again, he HAS scored 3G in his last 3GP… so maybe he’s bringing it back.

• goodolejr - Mar 27, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Yeah, I love Voracek. He can be incredibly frustrating at times when he’ll go stretches where it looks like he’d rather give the puck to the opposition than shoot but it seems lately he’s gotten back his confidence to shoot the puck. When he does that, with the skating and puck handling skills on top of it, he’s one of the best RWs in the league.

2. joey4id - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Tonight the Rangers look much better than the Flyers. Their forechecking and play along the boards was superior as was their play in the d zone. Mistakes were the cause of the first 2 goals, and Henrik was able to make some big stops. Rangers vs Fllyers will be fun to watch in the first round.

3. c9castine - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM

so according to the logic of a lot of people who post on PHT, the rangers are clearly better than the flyers.

this is evidenced by them winning the most recent regular season game.

right?

• jkay1818 - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:52 PM

c9castine, i dont even know why im addressing this because most things you say on here are absurd, but, youre joking right? Don’t be one of those delusional fans. i never go back and forth with anyone on here and i happen to find most flyer fans knowledgable who post on this site, but, come on.
      evidenced by winning the most recent regular season game? The NYR have the flyers number granted, anything can happen and in the playoffs if they meet in round 1, philly can very well sweep the rangers at home, but, have you been watching at all for the last numerous seasons? the rangers have dominated them. IM too lazy to look up the record but it’s very lopsided. that’s how it’s “evidenced”
      Hartnell is comical, he must be so frustrating for flyer fans because half the time he is invisible and skates around like a fool taking himself out of plays running at people. I was at MSG tonight and it’s so easy seeing someone take him off his game, it only takes a nice clean hit and he spends the rest of the game doing figure 8s trying to go after people.
      That was a really classless move by Simmonds at the end, he could have really hurt him

• cmjaz - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:03 AM

jkay1818, I know why you are lazy, because the stats don’t exist. This year, they are tied 2-2, last year the Rangers were up 3-2, each team winning at home. “very lopsided” I’m not saying I agree with c9, but you should do your homework before spouting BS.

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM

you wrote a whole lot of “stuff” for nothing.

i was being REALLY sarcastic. im not a flyers fan (do you think im a flyers fan? i got that impression. you called my posts “absurd” so if you read them i cant imagine how you didnt pick up on the fact that i am a penguins fan) and to be honest other than home ice advantages im not sure either team could be declared better than the other.

rangers are a better defensive team with better goaltending. better coached. flyers have much more offensive ability, decent goaltending, and can play in tough situations. apparently the rangers arent too bad at that either.

so…sorry you wasted your time buddy.

• flyerspsu - Mar 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM

The rangers have definitely been the better team head to head the last 3 years, but they are 2-2 this year, 2-0 each at home so not quite as dominant this year but you seemed to acknowledge that and how even the Flyers could end up and dominate in the series which I appreciate as well as the respect of flyers fans knowledge of the game

As for Hartnell, he is a clown, he can be a huge force or be the worst player that game which happens more than it should, you either love him or hate him, I love the guy in the sense he’s been here for 6 years, is a fan favorite, great guy off the ice and works his ass off and cares every second, even if it means being cheap or a bad player more than he should

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:21 AM

c9castine is a Pens fan… and yes, his posts are usually absurd.

• jkay1818 - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:08 AM

did you really have to login with two difft names to defend yourself? cmjaz and you are clearly the same person. Fine, i won’t be that lazy, I’ll scroll up, this article states they have won 8 in a row at MSG. That’s pretty dominant in itself. Let’s go back to even the year before last, they swept them 6-0, that’s pretty good since they are in the same division and that doesn’t happen often.

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

umm sorry buddy. i am not cmjaz…thatd be pretty weird if i did that.

and honestly again, im a pens fan. i naturally think all teams are better than the flyers lol…im not sure why you keep arguing with my because i was being sarcastic im pretty much agreeing with you dude…

that is really good…they clearly have the flyers number. not sure what you want from me here…

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM

lol this is wild!!

its like im saying “blue” and everybody else hears “yellow”…

i feel like im in the twilight zone. wheres muckieflugga…i need some sense of normalcy! haha..

• cmjaz - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Sorry to burst your soapbox again, but we are not the same people. I am a Flyers fan. Your original posted said the Rangers have dominated the Flyers, and it said nothing about in which arena. Since you wanted to go back one more year to grab the 6-0, I’ll go back one more and grab the Flyers up 4-2. There has been no dominance by either team recently overall, and BOTH teams have the better record at home. Your point you made originally is suspect as you didn’t do your homework or you didn’t quite make it clear what you wanted to say. I’m just saying do your homework before spouting nonsense.

• cofran2004 - Mar 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM

I’m telling you, there needs to be a sarcasm mark added to the english language. I feel like i’m the only one who could tell you were joking/being sarcastic there.

Let me clear it up for everyone.

C9CASTINE IS A PENGUINS FAN. HE IS A FAN OF TWO TEAMS; THE PENGUINS, AND THE TEAM THAT IS CURRENTLY PLAYING THE FLYERS. IF SOMETHING COMES FROM HIS MOUTH (keyboard) THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT’S DEFENDING THE FLYERS, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY ASSUME HE’S JOKING/BEING SARCASTIC.

This has been a public service announcement from “Posters against other stupid posters.” Thank you for listening.

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM

i’ve seen the ~ being used a lot on the internet. as in:

~that was a great game by the flyers!~

• cofran2004 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM

You know, I may start doing that myself. Sarcasm is a lost art. People just can’t read it. I mean… I usually can tell if someone is being sarcastic… I don’t understand why people have such an issue with it.

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM

haha thanks cofran.

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

i admit im a super saractic guy in real life. must remember that A. people have little sense of humor or wit on the internet and B. i suppose it is pretty hard to tell.

4. podevil - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM

The Flyers are imploding…They did well for a while, but the team hasn’t showed up the last two games..Must be reading their own headlines! They will be lucky to get to the playoffs if they keep playing the way they are now. I can see a losing streak here!

• stakex - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM

As much as I might like for it to be the case, I wouldn’t go so far as to say the Flyers are imploding. They were riding high for a stretch, probably a bit above their heads at times, and now are in a slight letdown period. It happens.

If they lose to Toronto on Friday on the other hand… than it might be time to panic if you are a Flyers fan, and celebrate a little bit if you’re a Rangers fan.

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM

yes the flyers are not imploding just coming down to earth a bit which quite honestly is still a good hockey team.

wouldnt be worried about this game if im a flyers fan. wouldnt get too high on this game if im a rangers fan.

(thats all i was trying to say up above)

5. jkay1818 - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM

C9 we know you are a flyers fan and we know that you are Ron hextall

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:40 AM

haha, ill take jokes. but that convo fried my brain. i couldnt have been more misunderstood.

6. muckleflugga - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:41 AM

c9castine

well … he’s recovering from ill-advised gluttony at lee ho fooks wednesday afternoon smorg truth be told

less from the smorg and more from spraining his ankle when he rolled out of his car once home

more later after a constitutional

7. muckleflugga - Mar 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM

aaaaaaaaaaaaah … that’s better

jkay1818

hell no … c9castine gets in some pretty good crack … he needs more colour and depth in his insults but other than that, he’s got a pretty good grasp of hockey

short of chanceoffleurry whom i like and want to marry, he’s a pretty good representative of his team’s interests and defends them to the death … admirable in every respect

back to simmonds … bad form and out of character … a ranger’s crowd in full revelry can induce that sort of thing … same in boston

wayne …

leave the axe at home

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM

muckle, in the theme of those psychedelic lyrics I saw you post somewhere, I leave you this:

• c9castine - Mar 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

simmonds is actually one of the flyers i can tolerate. first of all, damn good player. and he plays hockey first, unlike guys like hartnell who could be all-star level player but chooses to, as one guy put it, skate figure 8s looking for people to attack.

simmonds, i wouldnt count that one against him. everybody, remember these guys are tough athletes, gets a little wild now and again. he has an edge but doesnt do stuff like that too much.

hartnell can eat it though, hes a pos.

8. toiletclown - Mar 27, 2014 at 6:20 AM

what a scumbag organization. typical flyers

• cofran2004 - Mar 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM

I had a feeling I’d see you here. And while the rangers beat the flyers, and I’m quite pleased with that, kindly find the nearest bridge, aim for the closest rock, and jump :)

You bring absolutley no hockey knowledge to the table. Life would be better served if you didn’t exist. So please… stop doing so.

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM

we joke a lot about people being other people on this site, but I honestly think toiletclown is the alter-ego of a reputable commenter that simply changes names so they can flyer-bash. i have 0 idea who it is, but toiletclown is on this site farrrrr too much to just be a troll.

• cofran2004 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM

It would make sense. And I shouldn’t let him bait me into a response, but hey… it’s fun.

I think we should just call a spade a spade, and say that he’s blomfeld. Along with you… me… c9, joey…. even halford and brough. Everyone here is actually just an extension of everyone’s favorite video-posting kings fan from vancouver.

• laxman1944 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Flush

9. bleedrangerblue - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM

God I hate the flyers!! Rangers kicked their A$$ and will in the playoffs if they meet. He could have broke macs hand, what a tool…

10. kastout11 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Clearly Lundqvist was the difference. The Flyers had an excellent 1st period, but I believe either got frustrated they couldn’t beat Lundqvist or just ran out of gas, because they looked really tired in the 2nd and 3rd period. The game was a lot closer then the scoreboard. Bad goal given up by Mason, Flyers were sloppy in their defensive zone caughing up the puck, and Lundqvist was on fire. Also, G was shut down. Home ice and last change is going to be crucial if these teams meet in the playoffs. Girardi and Mcdonaugh completely shut down the G line. Berube tried to change the lines a little bit last night, and I would tweak them a little more. I would put Raffl back on the line with G, and move Hatrtnell back to the 2nd line. Vinny was invisible last night and hasn’t done much lately. Now, the Toronto game Friday is definitely a must-win. They need to put some distance between them and Detroit, Columbus and Toronto. Actually after watching the Flyers lately, I would probably rather the 1st wildcard and play Pittsburgh in the 1st round instead of the Rangers. Lundqvist has found his game and St. Louis isn’t even scoring yet. When he finds his game and starts scoring, I hate to say it, but the Rangers could be a very scary team.

11. laxman1944 - Mar 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM

The Flyer just can’t get it done in The Garden.

Simmonds is not a goon by any stretch (although it was a cheap shot) just the frustrations of getting their asses handed to them yet again in their house.

They seem to be coming back down to Earth a bit but they had a pretty good run for a bit.
    The Blue shirts are playing well and I love their blueliners.

The Bruins…….now that is the team the rest of the east should be worried about……ugh.

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 9:49 AM

that Rangers defense looked scary in that game, and most other games I’ve seen them in this year for that matter. Berube was outcoached by AV last night. I didn’t understand his starting lineup with G on the wing. Pierre and Olczyk (sp) liked the move, but I don’t get why you’d shake up your team like that at the BEGINNING of the game when they’ve been playing so well lately. just to get Couts on the faceoff?

I’m starting to really hate how Lundqvist turns into a wall against the Flyers.

• 7mantel - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Maybe because G has been shut down by the NYR at msg ? I think you meant Doc Emrick ,Eddie was not at the game.

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

yeah idk, they only kept him on the wing for that first half a shift. it was weird.

I thought they said no Olczyk too (having to listen to Emrick and Pierre alone was my worst nightmare), but I coulda swore I heard him after the intro. maybe it was Pierre. ONE of them was impressed with that move.

• 7mantel - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Great game though ,both teams are playing good hockey. A big difference from earlier in the season . Miss the days when Dan Kelly would announce the National games on USA Channel , even Gary Thorne did a good job !Made the game exciting without the silly chit chat!

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM

it’s absolutely unbelievable the things Doc wants to talk about instead of Flyers games (usually it’s how well he thinks Crosby/Penguins are playing at this very moment). he makes it obvious he doesn’t much like the Flyers, and I can’t stand watching Flyers games on NBC because of it. he never gives credit to whatever Flyers goalie is playing when they make a great save. it’s only that the shooter was robbed. just stuff like that all game.

and Pierre is just annoying.

• 7mantel - Mar 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Can’t shut off sound and listen to play by play on radio like I use to do when Jim Gorgon and Bill Chadwick were announcing Rangers games!

• toiletclown - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Cry me a river, your fascination with the Penguins is unreal. You can’t even comment on your own crap team without throwing a Crosby in. Haha #heyjealousy

• ibieiniid - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM

yeah, you def made that up. i’m commenting on EMRICK’S fascination with Crosby…. not MY fascination with Crosby.

hashtagging on a site that doesn’t even support hashtags, 1000x lamer than hashtagging on one that does.

12. nyeagles10 - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Rangers are winning big games and St Louis hasnt even got it going yet. I think thats a good thing, let him carrier us in the playoffs.

13. nashernation - Mar 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Fans that are ripping the St. Louis trade can’t deny the fact that they are winning. I loved Cally as much as any other fan but it was the right move. The draft picks were a bit much but it is what it is. I feel MSL will start clicking with Nasher and Stepan on this road trip. Mac truck is a beast and the King is in the zone. Love our game right now.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches