Mar 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Big shakeup at the Hockey Hall of Fame today, as it was announced that Columbus president John Davidson will replace outgoing selection committee chairman Jim Gregory effective April 1.
“John has been a dedicated member of the Selection Committee since 1999 and the Board’s appointment to the Chairman’s role recognizes his expertise and long-time contribution to the game as a player, media representative and hockey executive along with the fact that he is still very active in the game,” HHOF chairman Pat Quinn said in a statement.
The selection committee overhaul doesn’t end there. Also gone are Quinn (who stepped down last July to become chairman), Gregory and Serge Savard, who have both reached the stipulated length of service limit. They’ll be replaced by Flyers legend Bobby Clarke, Nashville GM David Poile and former LA Kings great Luc Robitaille.
Colin Campbell and Igor Larionov were re-appointed to the committee for another three-year term.
In related news, this year’s induction class will be announced on June 24th, the HHOF announced. The ’14 class is expected to be another star-studded one, with the likes of Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek and Mike Modano all first-time eligible.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)