Mar 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Big shakeup at the Hockey Hall of Fame today, as it was announced that Columbus president John Davidson will replace outgoing selection committee chairman Jim Gregory effective April 1.
“John has been a dedicated member of the Selection Committee since 1999 and the Board’s appointment to the Chairman’s role recognizes his expertise and long-time contribution to the game as a player, media representative and hockey executive along with the fact that he is still very active in the game,” HHOF chairman Pat Quinn said in a statement.
The selection committee overhaul doesn’t end there. Also gone are Quinn (who stepped down last July to become chairman), Gregory and Serge Savard, who have both reached the stipulated length of service limit. They’ll be replaced by Flyers legend Bobby Clarke, Nashville GM David Poile and former LA Kings great Luc Robitaille.
Colin Campbell and Igor Larionov were re-appointed to the committee for another three-year term.
In related news, this year’s induction class will be announced on June 24th, the HHOF announced. The ’14 class is expected to be another star-studded one, with the likes of Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek and Mike Modano all first-time eligible.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)