Mar 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Big shakeup at the Hockey Hall of Fame today, as it was announced that Columbus president John Davidson will replace outgoing selection committee chairman Jim Gregory effective April 1.
“John has been a dedicated member of the Selection Committee since 1999 and the Board’s appointment to the Chairman’s role recognizes his expertise and long-time contribution to the game as a player, media representative and hockey executive along with the fact that he is still very active in the game,” HHOF chairman Pat Quinn said in a statement.
The selection committee overhaul doesn’t end there. Also gone are Quinn (who stepped down last July to become chairman), Gregory and Serge Savard, who have both reached the stipulated length of service limit. They’ll be replaced by Flyers legend Bobby Clarke, Nashville GM David Poile and former LA Kings great Luc Robitaille.
Colin Campbell and Igor Larionov were re-appointed to the committee for another three-year term.
In related news, this year’s induction class will be announced on June 24th, the HHOF announced. The ’14 class is expected to be another star-studded one, with the likes of Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek and Mike Modano all first-time eligible.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)