Mar 26, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the New York Rangers hosting the Philadelphia Flyers starting at 7:30 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
– The Flyers have lost seven straight games at Madison Square Garden, getting outscored by a combined 28-8. All of those meetings were decided in regulation, and all but one was decided by two goals or more. There are only four current Flyers players left from the team that last won at MSG, on Feb. 20, 2011: forwards Claude Giroux & Scott Hartnell and d-men Kimmo Timonen & Braydon Coburn.
– The Rangers have won four straight games, outscoring opponents 17-8 during that span, while the Flyers five-game win streak was just snapped in a 3-2 loss to the Kings on Monday. Philadelphia is scoring 3.50 goals/game in its last six and allowing 1.83 goals/game.
– Claude Giroux has recorded 54 points (19G-35A) in his last 41 games dating back to December 11; he is 5th in the NHL with 74 points this season. Giroux, however, has not scored a goal at MSG since that February 20th game in 2011 – 0G-2A during the Flyers’ seven-game skid in New York – and has nine points (all assists) in his last nine overall games vs. the Rangers.
- Giroux has five goals and 12 assists in 11 games in the month of March.
- The Flyers are 18-2-1 when Giroux scores a goal, 31-12-3 when he registers at least one point.
– Martin St. Louis has three points (all assists) in his 11 games as a Ranger. His 29 goals, 64 points on the season are more than any other Ranger has on the year. St. Louis last found the back of the net on March 1 at Dallas (playing for Tampa Bay) when he scored twice. His current 11-game goal drought is his longest since going goalless in 13 straight from Dec. 23, 2011-Jan. 20, 2012. St. Louis, 15G-43A in 44 GP vs. PHI, is averaging 1.32 pts./game in his career against the Flyers, his second-highest average against any team (1.45 pts./game vs. Vancouver).
– The Flyers are the most penalized team in the league (1,069 PIM) and have the most PK time in the NHL (484:39). They rank 6th in the league in PK at 84.8%, 10th in PP at 19.6% (1,006 PIM against – most in NHL). Philly has gone 24/25 on the penalty kill and 5/23 on the power play in its last six games.
- New York is 29/31 on the penalty kill in their last 11 games and 3/33 on the power play.
– Ryan McDonagh has 2G-4A during his four-game point streak. The fourth-year Ranger defenseman has 13 goals (t-6th in NHL among D-men) and 29 assists (both career highs) this season. He has tallied 12 points (5G-7A) in his last 12 games; his 42 points are 4th on the team.
– New York has played better on the road this season (23-13-0) than on home ice (17-16-4) & are one of three teams (DET, LA) currently in playoff spots with a higher pt. % on the road than at home. The Rangers have the fewest points at home this season (34) out of the 16 teams currently in a playoff spot.
– Philadelphia has four players with 20 or more goals this season – Giroux (24), Simmonds (24), Jakub Voracek (20), Matt Read (20). New York has only two, and in practical terms, only one: Rick Nash (23) and St. Louis, but all 29 of his goals came with Tampa Bay.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)