Mar 26, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
The last time Anaheim played in Calgary, they were on the wrong end of a 7-2 whipping — prompting Andrew Cogliano to say that “every guy in the room should be completely embarrassed of how they played.”
Now, the Ducks are out to make amends.
Anaheim is back in Calgary tonight for the first time since the drubbing, a fact that wasn’t lost on defenseman Ben Lovejoy.
“We maybe played our worst game of the year against this team last time,” Lovejoy said, per the OC Register. “It’s still fresh. They were better in all facets of the game, and we’re trying to get our game in order.”
Since that loss, the Ducks have played reasonably well, winning three of five while finally getting their anemic power play on track. Following a stretch where they scored just twice in 48 opportunities, the Ducks have registered power play goals in consecutive games.
Calgary, though, has been even better since the 7-2 blowout on Mar. 12. They’ve won four of six, which included another trashing — an 8-1 blowout of provincial rival Edmonton on Saturday night.
“What a great game,” coach Bob Hartley said of the win over the Oilers. “We wanted to redeem ourselves from (Friday’s 6-5 loss to Nashville). I could see that the boys were not very impressed with the performance from last night.
“We just worked very simple, we were very effective and we scored some great goals.”
That said, Hartley is aware his club faces a much more difficult task tonight against Anaheim:
Flames HC Hartley when asked about how Ducks might respond following 7-2 loss here 2 weeks ago “Ducks have VERY good memories this I know”
— Lisa Hillary (@LisaHillaryTV) March 26, 2014
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9