Mar 26, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
The last time Anaheim played in Calgary, they were on the wrong end of a 7-2 whipping — prompting Andrew Cogliano to say that “every guy in the room should be completely embarrassed of how they played.”
Now, the Ducks are out to make amends.
Anaheim is back in Calgary tonight for the first time since the drubbing, a fact that wasn’t lost on defenseman Ben Lovejoy.
“We maybe played our worst game of the year against this team last time,” Lovejoy said, per the OC Register. “It’s still fresh. They were better in all facets of the game, and we’re trying to get our game in order.”
Since that loss, the Ducks have played reasonably well, winning three of five while finally getting their anemic power play on track. Following a stretch where they scored just twice in 48 opportunities, the Ducks have registered power play goals in consecutive games.
Calgary, though, has been even better since the 7-2 blowout on Mar. 12. They’ve won four of six, which included another trashing — an 8-1 blowout of provincial rival Edmonton on Saturday night.
“What a great game,” coach Bob Hartley said of the win over the Oilers. “We wanted to redeem ourselves from (Friday’s 6-5 loss to Nashville). I could see that the boys were not very impressed with the performance from last night.
“We just worked very simple, we were very effective and we scored some great goals.”
That said, Hartley is aware his club faces a much more difficult task tonight against Anaheim:
Flames HC Hartley when asked about how Ducks might respond following 7-2 loss here 2 weeks ago “Ducks have VERY good memories this I know”
— Lisa Hillary (@LisaHillaryTV) March 26, 2014
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)