Mar 26, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Alex Burrows is going to play through the pain.
The Vancouver winger, who suffered what appeared to be a serious hand/thumb injury last week against Nashville, will suit up for the Canucks when they take on the Wild in Minnesota this evening, per Sportsnet.
The move marks a startling turnaround for Burrows, who missed Sunday’s win over Buffalo with the injury and, initially, was reported to have not traveled with the Canucks to Minnesota. That report was later deemed inaccurate.
Burrows’ return could definitely bolster Vancouver as it clings to its playoff life. The 32-year-old had finally gotten his season on track over the last two weeks after going goalless over his first 35 games of the year and had nine points — five goals — in his last six games prior to getting hurt.
Of course, there are questions about how effective Burrows will be. He appeared to be in major discomfort after taking a heavy slash from Nashville’s Shea Weber and, when asked about the injury, Canucks GM Mike Gillis said it “didn’t look good,” and that “the preliminary analysis is not positive.”
You can see the slash here:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)